What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey everyone -

I just got back from the ICPS conference. What an absolutely GREAT time it was.

The best part for me was meeting the people in person who I know from online groups like these Terraforums or the CP Listserve.

There were many presentations including one Andreas Wistuba gave on Heliamphora. So then, we were all on pins and needles for a while because Andreas Wistuba's plants were supposed to be there Thursday but were held up and almost didn't make it to the meeting. There was a MOB drooling and waiting when the FedEx finally arrived Saturday at noon.

Another fabulous presentation I recall was the close up photography of CPs we watched with 3D glasses and Steve LaWarre's talk on how they they built the CP House at Meijer Gardens was fascinating.

As for plants, myself, I picked up:
N. macrophylla from Wistuba
N. hamata clone2 from Wistuba
Heliamphora heterodoxa "nutans" from Wistuba
HUGE N. petra cutting from the auction ( I gotta go pot it up )
N. burbidgea from the auction

Time for some other folks to add more details & photos but until then......guess who won the Best of Show in the plant contest?

Hey Wild Bill

Thanks for the report.
smile.gif
Who did you meet?

I hope we hear from others who were there and maybe someone will post some pics. I wish I could have gone.

Sounds like you scored big time too.

I just potted up the cutting & the N. macrophylla and N. hamata, whew.

Some names of folks that I can immediately remember (after a 7 & 1/2 hour drive back home):

Jeremiah Harris - he's the Renaissance Man of CP's. He had some of his artwork there too. People thought they were photographs. Speaking of photographs, I think he took like 700 photos at the show.

Scott Bennett - another CP artist

Carl Taylor and his wife Sharon - some of the original founders of ICPS. They donated a LOT of stuff to the auction.

Jan Schlauer

Andreas Wistuba

Steve LaWarre

Mike Howlett, promoting NASC & he also gave a great talk.

Honq Li

David Ahrens (CPUK)

Cindy Slezak, VP of ICPS,

and many more I'll remember after I download our photos.

There were 10 of us from NECPS who made the trip. Today (Sunday), and Monday there were field trips to some beautiful looking CP sites but my wife Dena and I had to get back.

Woo hoo! Good to hear you had a great time! SOO jealous.

Special thanks go out to Jeremiah Harris for allowing the use of his pictures:

Here are some pictures:

Jeremiah, Andreas, Thomas, et al.
Jerimiahandcrew.jpg

Group Photo
ICPSgroup2.jpg

Atrium View
blackjunglebooth.jpg

Phantom Plants Booth
PhantomboothwithMatt.jpg

NECPS Booth
NECPSbooth2.jpg

WildBill (NECPS)
WildBillholdingrarecp.jpg

Delightful Dena (NECPS)
DelightfulDenaPBR.jpg

Life in the college dorm
dormlife.jpg

Matt (NECPS)

MattRoridula.jpg

HOLY MOLY! is that a dewy pine!!!!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. i deffinatly have to go to this next year! i hope it is closer next time to me! looks like a blast!
alex

Dewey Pine?Mmaybe, but I would say it's a Roridula of some kind...

Cheers,

Joe

Nice Pictures! Now I really wish I had stayed.
Did anyone take a shot of my tank?

Oh we had a great time, it was wonderful to meet everyone.

JMatt
Was your the the tank with all the unbelievable Cephalotus? If so I did get some nice photos of it. If it was some other one I'm sure I took some of it as well. I ended the trip with 1,267 photos, just under 4 gb worth. As soon as I have time I will upload most of them to a web site for all to see.

-Jeremiah-

That's Matt with his amazing Roridula, which took 3rd place in the CP contest. Matt did a presentation on growing Roridula on Sunday morning. He donated a R. gorgonias and a R. dentata to the silent auction too. They were each nearly a foot tall.

In the picture of me, I'm holding a Nepenthes northiana x veitchii which Richard won thru a NECPS silent auction. Jeremiah - did you get any pics of the peristome on it? Over my shoulder is a painting of a bug's eye view of S. leuco with a wasp trapped inside.

Any reports from folks who went on the field trip(s)??? There was a slide presentation on the bog areas the night before and it looked just beautiful but Dena and I were unable to go. They said something like thousands of S. purps were in one of the bogs.

OK Jeremiah.....time to make EVERYONE jealous - what plants & seeds did you bring home?

Jeff - I got a shot but it's huge. I need to resize it in photoshop. Dave S. may have one too.

Glider14, unfortunately the next ICPS meeting won't be in the USA for several years. We'd love to have you visit the NECPS Show in October if you are anywhere near Providence, RI.

Oh I was wondering if that was him.

yeah a few plants followed me home
H. chimantensis (Chimanta, Venezuela)
H. elongata (Ilu Tepui)
H. folliculata (Aparaman Tepui, Venezuela)
H. folliculata (Kamakaiwaran Tepui, Venezuela)
H. folliculata (Murosipan Tepui, Venezuela)
H. heterodoxa (Ptari Tepui)
H. hispida (Cerro Neblina, Venezuela)
H. nutans (Yuruani Tepui)
H. pulchella (Akopan Tepui, Venezuela)
H. pulchella (Chimanta Tepui, Venezuela)
H. sarracenioides clone AH,

N. burbidgeae Seed grown
N. adnata (Kelog Sembilan, Sumatra)
the true N. burkei
N. fallax Seed grown
N. gracillima
N. hamata
N. jacquelineae
N. ventricosa Porcelain

R. dentata seed
R. gorgonias seed

and a few other dew and seeds and miscellaneous CP T-Shirts, Mugs, Posters etc...

Were there vendors from all the Nep nurseries there or what? How else did you get all those Neps...

here were the vendors that came
Jeremiah Harris, jeremiahsplants@adelphia.net Colorado Carnivorous Plant Society
David Evans, dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu DANGEROUS PLANTS
Michael Wallitis, mmm@blackjungle.com Black Jungle Terrarium Supply
Dave Sackett, dave@phantomplants.com Phantom Plants
Michael Szesze, mszesze@carnivorousplantnursery.com Carnivorous Plant Nursery
Andreas Wistuba, andreas@wistuba.com The Nepenthes Nursery
Dave Sackett, bid2win1@yahoo.com The New England Carnivorous Plant Society

Great photos...I recognize a few faces in the group photo.
smile.gif
I would love to see your photos Jeremiah.

Sounds like a great time was had by all...I wish I could have gone.

Here are a few photos:

Hamata.jpg

N. hamata at the Phantom Plants table

Cephscape.jpg

Jeff's Cephs

CPContest.jpg

The CP contest. Mike Howlett and visitor in the background.

Njacq.jpg

Closeup of Jeremiah's N.jacquelina - The CP Contest Winner!!!!! Congrats Jeremiah.

NECPSGroup.jpg

Some of the NECPS: Kirk, WildBill, Dena; Matt, John, Dave S. Mike, Richard, Jeff, and Jon of the NECPS were also at the meeting.

WildBill, well i live in kentucky so ill have to get parent confirmation(im only 15) and then ill probly have to pay for the ticket. SHOOT! i have school to! how is this going to work? ill try to do somthing because i rely want to go! is there an ACPS?(american carnivorous plant society) or do just every body from across the country go to the NECPS meeting? ill be sure to bring some money with me when i go.
Question: how do you all get all of your plants back to where you live? do they have special shipping?
thanks
alex

Bill,

The field trips were great, sorry you couldn't make it. Tons of S. purpurea just like the slides. Maybe someone who took pictures will post a few so you can see what you missed.

Many thanks to the bus driver from keeping us from crashing when two cars collided right next to bus!

The best part of the Conference was meeting all of the people, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Thanks to all of the great people I met and thanks to the organizers for putting on a fantastic Conference.

Glenn

Glenn -

The best part WAS meeting all the people and sharing stories, info, etc. It would be nice at some point to have a legend for that ICPS group shot.

Glider -

The NECPS is a very active regional group in New England. We meet once a month and our 2 day show is the 2nd weekend in October. There are other regional CP groups that may be closer to you. How far are you from Colorado?

As for moving plants, most of the NECPS members drove down. I just put my plants in big rubbermaid style bins, some folks use large ice chests, some of the larger plants just go on the seat in the back. Jeremiah, of the Colorado group actually flew to the meeting and had to buy a ticket just for that N. jacquelina (just kidding).

Bill,

If we send the picture out to everyone we know asking to ID as many people as possible we should be able to get names hooked up to faces.

I think Jeremiah took a picture of the registration list as well.

Glenn

Jeremiah,

Yea that was my tank on the NECPS table. It is one of four that I usually lug around. My wife hates it every time I need to move them. I have a 45 gallon tank, but it's just too heavy to move.

Wild Bill,

Hey bud, are you going to Logees this weekend?
If you do, I hope you bring your Wistuba stuff.
We really need to do a groop order from him.
Later.
Jeff

Back