Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: World Cup!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ESPN, ESPN 2, ABC, as well as others are airing it. One of the matches that people looking for the big exciting ones are going to want to see is on Monday; USA vs. Czech Republic. The CR has been very impressive lately and are ranked #2 in the world. But the US made a pretty impressive run last time around, and people are thinking that it should be even better this Cup.

I have to miss it, but I'll definitly tivo it and watch it later.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife watched the US - Czech Republic game today and said it was even more lopsided than shown by the statistics of the 3-0 score and one shot on goal by the US. I'd want Brazil to win, except I hate picking the favorite. I live on the fringe of a Brazilian neighborhood and it's pretty wild when they start winning important games.

My daughter plays and my wife played in high school, but I was 17 before I ever saw a soccer ball and I have the same level of understanding of the sport that the average European has of baseball.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the Europeans and South Americans who visit these forums its surprising that this topic has been so quiet.

Well after weeks of hype leading up to the tournament.. then days of excuses for losing the first match.. and then days of listening to the scenario of what the US team needed to do to advance, the pain is finally over and the US is headed home.

This was supposed to be "The best team the USA has fielded in decades..." Well if this is the best they can come up with, I suggest that they just give it up altogether. Aside from the decent effort in game 2 against Italy, this has been one of the worst soccer teams I have ever seen play. Fully deserving of the 0-2-1 record they posted and the single lousy point they earned in the standings. With all the big name players on this team its completely disgusting to see that they only scored 1 lousy goal over the entire 3 games (not counting the one that Italy put into their own goal). I suspect there will be a major overturn of personel before the next tournament.

Well I am off to watch Australia vs. Croatia...

Cheers
    Steve

BTW.. did anyone else notice that the USA keeper pretty much stunk up the whole joint? He was touted as one of the top keepers in the world... I dunno.. from what I saw, he couldn't stop a beach ball if they kicked it right into his hands...
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently watching Brazil vs Japan. Go Brazil (I'm such a patriotic Japanese! )! Croatia are doing surprisingly well against Australia I might add.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I am still in the mood to rant a bit... I need to say that the officiating in the last 2 USA games has been about the worst I have ever seen.

Not to draw away from the fact that they just didnt play well, it really didn't help that the refs seemed to be watching a different game than the rest of us. The red card against Mastroeni in game 2 was a complete joke. The tackle was a split second late.. and certainly not an intent to injure. It was a foul yes, but a red card? Cmon.. Then to turn around and give a 2nd yellow card to Pope in the first minute of the second half was even worse. Frankly I dont think he deserved either one of those cards.

As if all that wasn't bad enough, Ghana gets a penalty kick in stoppage time of the first half today that gave them the lead, and ultimately the win.

I understand that the refs have a tough and very unappreciated job to do, but its not hard to understand why they are so hated when you see them make those phantom calls that have so much influence on the outcome of such important games.

Ok... end of rant (for now)
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENGLAND!!!
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh.. despite winning their group, England has not been all that impressive either. If they continue the way they have been so far I would not be surprised if they are on the plane home on Sunday night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right they have been playing relatively poorly so far, but we're just saving ourselves for the knockout phase, when things are more important
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast