Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: World Cup!

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't get any easier for England from here. Ecuador has played well in every game I have seen them in. After that its going to be either Holland or Portugal. Both of those are very good teams. I hate to say it.. but the future looks bleak for the Brits this year... Stranger things have happened though.. guess we will just have to watch the matches and see what happens eh?

Go Holland!!!

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every sport has subjective officiating(when they make robotic computers that can do it, human officials are history!) but that red card vfy guy mentioned was really horrible.
    My dark horse(in my opinion anyway) is Argentina.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 2006 US team performed as should be expected and maybe better - I never expected a tie with Italy. The 2002 team's run through the World Cup was an aberration and the US has to recognize it's a 3rd World country when it comes to soccer. Especially if you look at players whose families have been here more than a single generation.

Even though a phenomenal number of American kids are in youth soccer, many are there to allow parents an hour of free time. Even if they're into soccer, boys eventually have to choose between (American) football and soccer as a fall sport and a lot of the best will choose football. Football is the ideal American sport. It has lots of dead time for announcers to explain what just happened, plenty of militaristic jargon, and regular breaks for beer & truck commercials. And it's perfect for betting in office pools. Soccer doesn't offer any of that.

Argentina can never be a dark horse in soccer, by the way. Official dark horse rules don't allow it.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Ecuador has played well in every game I have seen them in. After that its going to be either Holland or Portugal. Both of those are very good teams.
    There are no easy matches from now on, but Ecuador, Holland and Portugal are far preferable to playing Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina or Spain.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't like to gloat or anything but I can't say I'm too displeased that the US didn't get past the group stage. The reason? The US coaches comments before the tournament started that Australia didn't deserve to be in the World Cup because they are not good enough.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I need to say that the officiating in the last 2 USA games has been about the worst I have ever seen.
    Yeah, that.

Quote[/b] ]Currently watching Brazil vs Japan.
    I think we all knew how that was going to turn out. It seemed like the Japanese defense was terrible. The keeper was good, but when you've got a good striking team like Brazil constantly barraging you, there's only so long you can hang on. The forwards were OK, but with a defense like that, there's no hope.

Quote[/b] ]As if all that wasn't bad enough, Ghana gets a penalty kick in stoppage time of the first half today that gave them the lead, and ultimately the win.
    While the US's play was less than impressive, I have to say that there is something very wrong with Ghana passing on. Bad calls, and then the 2nd half Ghana just plays turtle the whole time.

What has gotten to me is the way that so many teams are just playing for a tie. It's great to accept that a tie may be the outcome and to be proud of yourself for getting a tie if you were up against a tought team, but I'd like to see the enthusiasm of teams (even the young ones) playing to win!

I was proud with the way Germany played its last game, and I hope that they play as well on tomorrow's game! That last game was good for morale, and a definite curse-breaker! I'd love to see Germany win this one, and if they keep up the good play, it's possible- they've finally got some young players again!

Anyone else feel bad about so many people making fun of Ronaldo?
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He had more goals in one game than the US had in three and weighs 189 lbs. So he clearly is fat and not ready to play. I don't mean to defend jocks, who tend to be as pampered and self-absorbed as Paris Hilton, but it amazes me when people whose biggest exertion is lifting their butt out of a chair say an athlete is out of shape.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Seandew @ June 23 2006,9:25)]Don't like to gloat or anything but I can't say I'm too displeased that the US didn't get past the group stage. The reason? The US coaches comments before the tournament started that Australia didn't deserve to be in the World Cup because they are not good enough.
    Snap! Lol.
    I had not heard that, but I don't blame you for feeling that way.
    I don't understand that comment. How does a team get in that does not deserve to? You have to spend a lot of time qualifying , right?
    I am a typical American not up on this stuff, but people keep telling me the US was ranked fifth in the world and the Czech Republic was second. So how did they end up in the same group(ironically, both are out)? Seems like you would take the top eight seeds and make them each the highest in one of the eight groups.

Cheers,

Joe

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast