Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: World Cup!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I am a typical American not up on this stuff, but people keep telling me the US was ranked fifth in the world and the Czech Republic was second. So how did they end up in the same group(ironically, both are out)? Seems like you would take the top eight seeds and make them each the highest in one of the eight groups.
    They're redoing the entire ranking system. As it stands, it's VERY easy for certain countries to move up, and VERY difficult for others. For instance the US gets to play countries like Jamaica while a country in Europe has to face the big dogs. I think it's a shame that the Czech Republic didn't move on, they ran in to some bad luck.

Wooh! I'm glad Germany just won its game. I have to give some major kudos to the Swedish keeper, though.

Looking forward to the Mexico v Argentina game coming up. Everybody thinkgs Argentina is going to win (and they very well may!) but I think it'll be an interesting game to see. Gotta watch the competition Germany has coming up.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ June 22 2006,4:52)]

ENGLAND!!!
    Who cares...
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say...I would like to know what that one chap in Alvin's photo is thinking. Looks like he has one heck of an idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice game today. I guess I'll resort to cheering for Australia since I did live there for 9 years...and Poland is out....
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ho-ly crap! Did anyone else just watch the Portugal v Netherlands game? BEST worst game EVER.

The England game today was truely boring... And the Portual game was pretty poorly played, but it got insane at the end! We saw some pretty dark records set this game. Saw some punching, kicking, throwing, pushing. Dang.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup.. I saw the whole ugly mess. I can't believe how bad the officials are in this tournament. 16 yellow cards and 4 reds.. 9 cards to Portugal.. all either set or tied world cup records. I thought that Jorge Larrionda was a bad ref but Valentin Ivanov sure did his best to prove that NOBODY is worse than him.

Well that takes out my other team.. dont really care who wins now. I just hope that the rest of the games are not like this one.
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for England. Portugal have 2 suspended players, including Deco.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I thought that Jorge Larrionda was a bad ref but Valentin Ivanov sure did his best to prove that NOBODY is worse than him.
    The commentators were saying the exact same thing as you, but I have to strongly disagree. The players are really who're at fault. The plants (namely the Portuguese) started the game with a bunch of fouls. The ref can't NOT call them. If people continue to offend, the ref has to continue to get cards. Here's an idea if you don't want to get a card: don't foul on other players from behind, don't hit other players in dispute, don't grab shirts, don't argue with the ref.

The players were unruley (it all started with Portugal.) If people make an offence where a card is warranted, then they should expect a card. All the ref could have done is given fouls instead of cards, and I don't see that alleviating the problem. I think the ref needs some sort of other power, like sending players out for a set time so they can "cool off," anything, really.

But I just don't see how you can blame it on the ref in this last game. The Italy v US game is another story, those were bad calls.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast