Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Talking

As many of you know, the 2006 World Cup opener ended just moments ago. Who here is one of the some 1.5 billion viewers who were projected to be watching the match? I know I was!

Not a bad way to start! I'm glad Germany won (my home country and all) and Costa Rica played a pretty nice game! I'm looking forward to an awesome World Cup this time around. Who here plans on watching? What teams are you rootin' for?

--Edit--
    In the joy of it all, I've gone and made a spelling error in the title... Sigh.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will watch whatever games end up on network TV (since that is all I get.)

I am not rooting for anyone in particular but I do hope to catch a match up between any two of the "dirty dozen"
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm Watching!!! POLSKA!!!!!!!

....They lost to ecuador!?!?!?!?!

Zac
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's been exciting so far!
    Seems like for the A section the team ranking (in my mind) is Germany, then Costa Rica, then Ecuador, then Poland.

The tight teamwork that I saw in the Germany vs Costa Rica match just wasn't there in the Ecuador vs Poland match.

Germany seems to be a LOT better this year in terms of keeping things tight and communicating. In the first match, when someone kicked the ball, it always made its target player, players exhibited a lot of control over the ball. Germany DOES need to pick up on the defence though! I can't wait to see Ballack come in!

I'm looking forward to the Czech Republic vs USA game, it should prove to be an exciting match!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me. Don't like soccer. Plus I've heard that they are racist against black players and fans. Makes me sick.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ June 10 2006,7:52)]Not me. Don't like soccer. Plus I've heard that they are racist against black players and fans. Makes me sick.
    Yes. And all tennis players are pansies, all football players are pigs, all golf players are rich snobs, all hockey players are inbred. Maybe you'd spend less time being sick if you did more than listen to a few voices.

You think there's any lack of support for teams with black members? Try watching a game. Not ten minutes ago you should have seen the calls seen the crowd in the Trinidad and Tobago vs Sweden match. One team was primarily white, the other primarily black, but if you think that changed what the calls were like, then you've got a different thing coming.

There will always be idiotic jerks in a sport, but saying that an entire sport or fanbase is racist is absolutely ridiculous. Nations from all over the world participate in the World Cup. Countries from Africa, the Mid East, Asia, Europe, North and South America- you think that changes the calls changes the crowd?

Watch the crowd, the ref, the players during and after the game, read the news, or be part of the festivities. Soccer fans can get rowdy (ref: British soccer hooligans taking over the country of Belgium,) but have you ever seen an unfair call made based on race?

You know what makes me sick? Presumptions.

You don't like soccer, fine. But don't mar the names of those who do, or the players, or those associated. Thank you.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look I'm not trying to start anything but I saw and heard what I did. Let's drop it and let everything be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this airing on ESPN? If not, what channel?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast