What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on my CP Book

Hey Folks,

Herr Dr. Bob Z is understating the situation. The proofreader went through the book and changed numerous occurrences of Sarracenia to sarracenias, Dionaea to dionaeas, Genlisea to genliseas, etc etc. Imagine my horror at seeing a sentence like, "Highland nepenthes respond well to the same conditions that support heliamphoras and some epiphytic utricularias."  I was howling, actually howling out loud, as I circled correction after correction. It was horrible.

However, having explained my anguish to the publisher, and then having sent another nine pages of corrections, the damage has been undone (I think).

Today I sent off another long document providing corrections to the index.

At this point, I am done. The book is out of "layout", and has entered "production." I cannot change anything anymore. It is done. Written in stone. Sigh. I need a drink to forget this experience. Some kind of nepenthe.<sup>1</sup>

<sup>1</sup>Note to editor: please keep the occurrence of the preceding word in non-italic typeface. The reference is to a drug, not the plant genus. Thanks.

See? I can't stop thinking about edits!!!!!
Barry

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 06 2006,3:52)]WIll you autograph a copy for me?  It would sit well next to my inscribed copy of Don's book that PAK got for me!

Congratulations Barry, and I hope they spare you on the Listserve.
Of course. I think kindly of you every time I look at my Utricularia uniflora--long lost to me, then returned to my collection because of your well-known generosity!  

Barry

Barry, the day you get your soil bases right is when I will read your book!!!! Otherwise, like Savage Garden, well, the pics are nice.
(LOLOL!!!!!)

biggrin.gif

they just cant handle it how you want it handled. youre just a dim witted writer!
smile_m_32.gif

I work (hopefully not for much longer!) for a non-profit organization dedicated to the uphill battle of teaching journalists how to write about science.  I don't think the two worlds will ever quite see eye-to-eye...they want to make it readable, we want to make sure it's accurate.  ("Why can't scientists speak English?  Why can't journalists get it right?")  My deepest heartfelt sympathies!

Can't wait to get my copy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ July 06 2006,11:14)]Barry, the day you get your soil bases right is when I will read your book!!!! Otherwise, like Savage Garden, well, the pics are nice.
(LOLOL!!!!!)
Bugweed, the day you write your book, is the day I'll get my soil bases right!!!! Otherwise, well, I'll just keep guessing!

smile.gif

Barry, you know how much I love harassing you!!! Keep up the good work! A free copy would be nice!!!

Hey Bugweed,

smile.gif

Actually, you are one of the people who's citation got cut out of the book. On page 145, where I discuss a bit about growing Sarracenia psittacina, I noted that "Some clones grow best partially submerged year round or with water percolating through the soil (S. Millar, pers. communication)" but unfortunately your name got cut out along with all the other similar citations. Life is cruel....

Barry

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Barry, the day you get your soil bases right is when I will read your book!!!! Otherwise, like Savage Garden, well, the pics are nice.
(LOLOL!!!!!)

LOL! Harsh bugweed, real harsh.

Congratulations on getting your book to the production stage! Now treat yourself to a couple of asprin and some rogain for all that hair you pulled out during the editing stages.
I plan on reserving a copy on Amazon real soon. Looking forward to reading it!

--Jonathan

Barry, I definitly cannot wait to read the book, I just heard about it from your website
I am going to buy a copy the first day it comes out
or order it online
whichever
too cool!!!!

Hey Folks,

Well, if you look at my FAQ you'll notice I've put some shots of my book on the front page. It should be coming out in September, which is fabulously cool.

I've gone over the text with a fine-tooth comb and flagged a few minor errors (and created an erratum sheet for my web site). But it is a huge relief to stop worrying about this project. Have you ever woken up at 3 a.m., and had to turn on your computer just to make sure you were consistent in your spelling of Drosera spatulata, instead of Drosera spathulata? I have!

In the future I'll have some information about how to get signed copies of my book (which wouldn't be via Amazon).

Later!

Barry

Good to hear the news Barry! I'm glad that after all your hard work your book is finally coming out, although now I'm going to have to cancel my order through Amazon...A signed copy is impossible to turn down
smile.gif

I don't know I think maybe we should hold out until he throws in a SALAD BLASTER or maybe one of those Bedazzelers. Only if you order in the next 10 minutes though ! Washing and chopping your LFS will be a breeze with this saladblaser !! But WAIT theres more, Bedazzle your Neps. and make them more attractive !!

Sorry Barry I couldn't resist. I've been bad, bad, bad...

Glad the nightsweats can finally break. Writing 3 page reports is a challenge enough for me, I can't imagine a whole book. I'll be signing up later for one unless you make me buy a whole case for my comments above.:)

AWESOME! the signed books.... sweet. ill be sure to get one...even if i cant get it signed! BTW the covers for your book are sectacualr!...how many pages are in it?
Alex

I'D like the LFT salad spinner please
...Just kidding!
smile.gif

seriously though, I have dreams about reading the book!!!!!

-DJC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseraguy @ Aug. 11 2006,4:23)]I don't know I think maybe we should hold out until he throws in a SALAD BLASTER or maybe one of those Bedazzelers. Only if you order in the next 10 minutes though ! Washing and chopping your LFS will be a breeze with this saladblaser !! But WAIT theres more, Bedazzle your Neps. and make them more attractive !!

Sorry Barry I couldn't resist. I've been bad, bad, bad...

Glad the nightsweats can finally break. Writing 3 page reports is a challenge enough for me, I can't imagine a whole book. I'll be signing up later for one unless you make me buy a whole case for my comments above.:)
Round and round and round it goes, to make an attractive garnish for your salad tray! But wait, there's more! Burnt milk is a kitchen disaster, but with armor-coat, this "mess" just peels right off!

Yep, my brain firing from all those ads pummeled into my head!

The final count: 225 pages, 330 photos.

Your book is already on my Amazon wishlist ;)

Barry:

How well does your book cover Utricularias?  I have better luck with those plants than any other genus and intend to keep collecting them. I have some not in Savage's book so I hope they are in your book!

ah... Signed copies.... And here I just went and pre-ordered one off Books A Million.

Well, I haven't read savage garden, and don't intend to buy it, but this new and updated book sounds like a winner. I will have to look for info on a signed book. Congradulations on your book and thanks for giving the CP world an updated collection of info.

Back