Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kiwano Melon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at Mijers today and saw on the exotic fruit stand a Kiwano Melon. it is orange with spines all over it...and they'er sharp! does anybody know how to prepare this melon? what about growing one from seed?
    thanks
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just incase nobody knows what he's talking about. Here's a pic.

I wonder what it tastes like.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You eat it raw. Try not to think about frog's eggs in late stages of development as you eat it. Very slimy, very larvally.

I'm a big fan of trying weird fruit, and this one was an early experiment for me. I have to admit that I'm not really thinking about having it again.
    Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
    Co-editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well its for my sugar glider, Daisy, and she wont mind texture...from what i have read they taste like melon, cucumber, banana and lime. im cutting it up tonight to feed to my glider and ill try some. truthfull y im pretty reluctant to try it. but thats what i said with sardines which are awesome!!!!
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when I was in pre-calculus, my teacher let us bring notes into our final exam. the catch was, the notes had to be written on a fruit. and you had to eat the entire fruit before you left (i.e., you could write a watermelon's worth of notes, but you had to eat the whole watermelon.)

looking back, I didn't have a lot of common sense back then. I got one of these spiky guys, because it looked cool and I wanted to try it. But it was VERY hard to write notes on. and it tasted...well, not very good. bitter, but a little banana-y. I wouldn't recommend them.

my teacher finally felt so bad for me that she let me leave without finishing it.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more for looks... I think it's more in the cucumber group than the melon group.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Tony. I had a college botany class and I disected one and looked at parts under a microscope and the vine was very similar to a cucumber.
    this was a long time ago.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our grocery store (rainbow) has these all the time but I haven't tried it. An asian girl at work brought me a Durian fruit once... whoooo! Talk about a horrid stench and even worse taste! I've never wanted to puke after eating fruit before!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast