What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new additions to the zoo

trekked across the state this weekend for the annual Press Convention, was a good 8 hour drive even with Darla's and my lead feet. we found some critters "we" decided we couldnt pass up.

first, ive been wanting to set up a saltwater tank since we bought the new house but its not going to happen for awhile and ive been trying to find a cheaper alternitive to entertain me. was thinking of a cichlid tank until i saw these guys(please excuse the so-so pics, im taking pics throught plastic with a point and shoot camera that doesnt alway focus on what i want)

95ad8a63.jpg

3ffa7643.jpg

7c5713d5.jpg

a95dad3b.jpg

2f003469.jpg

next, our lone female sugar glider has been really tweaking out lately. chewing on her tail and such. when Lil' Boy died about 2 years ago she was doing better than ever, for somereason she seemed to be very anti social, unusual for sugar gliders. well while looking for female bettas to go with the males pictured above, we stopped at a small petshop run by a young couple and Darla discovered that they were selling their "retired" breeding pair to make room for a new unrelated pair. they arent terribly old maybe 5(SG's can live to see 15 easily). anyways thee pair was less than what they were asking for a single hand raised youngin and Darla bought them up. they are currently sitting in a 10 gal tank next to lil girls cage. i heard them chatting back and forth last night so hopefully they will get along. prolly start suppervised visits the end of the week. here are pics, not the best cause of shooting through glass plus they are nocturnal and not active till later in the evening

946bd77f.jpg

fbf1579b.jpg

6c15c2a2.jpg

Nice crown tails.

I have always wanted some Suger Gliders since I first saw them. Maybe sometime I'll have a house with more room that I could get some.

Those are awesome bettas. What type are they? The places around here and the normal, look like they are about to die types without them nice tails. I think I might also want a suger glider now. Nice new family members.

So Rattler...when are you going to open your zoo to the public and start charging admission.
smile.gif

The fish are beautiful. But I like the sugar gliders better. They are so cute! I hope they perk up your SG. It would be sad for her to be alone.

You'll have to post some pics once they all get together. Congrats on the growing zoo.

Errr...whatever happened to the tarrantula idea?

still working on the tarantulas, gotta sell some frogs first so i have covert funds
smile_n_32.gif
i do have 14 baby scorpions coming in a couple weeks.

the bettas are crown tails

i have more pics of the sugar gliders now but its paper day and i dont know if i will have time to upload them till Thursday, depends on what happens and how early i get done.

SUGAR GLIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looks just like my baby!!!!!!!! now you all kow why my name is glider
smile_m_32.gif
. they are awesome pets if you are redy to cater to thir every whim! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
confused.gif
.mine is pretty needy in her food above all things!
alex

SUGAR GLIDER!

as long as they get their ice cream(frozen glider food) and french fries(super worms) they are quite content most of the time. boy do they love munching on those ugly super worms

Pff Sugar Glidars arent as cool as ferrets now come on! When are you gonna get a Baby Hawaian mongoose? They are like ferrets if you get them befor They open their eyes!

Jk, But how much do sugar gliders usualy cost?

this pair was $150, ive seen hand raised babies for anywhere between $100 and $200 depends who is selling them. ive seen normal Chinchillas go for $150 but im selling one to a friend for $35. just depends on the individual who has them and what someone is willing o pay

as far as ferrets, my college roommates girlfriend had 3 ferrets, stinky buggers even with the cage kept clean. really fun to play with but was glad they werent living with me.

my glider cost 300...but that included a cage, bedding, food, toys, and its water bottle. a little high now that i think about it but it was worth every penny!
alex

I guess its an selective smell then huh? I personaly love the smell of the Ferrets, Not their cages. But the ferrets them selfs.

But Sence I have dogs, I cant let them run around as much as I want cause they would easly get eatin by my terrier/lab mix. But I wanted to build a wall so that the ferrets can run free and theirs a smaller cage to clean!!!! I have a huge 5 foot 4 story cage for 2 ferrets Wich they love I might add! Also the kind of litter you have keeps the smell away to. My mom has to Bags of Carbon in it I beleive it sits on top of the cage. She says it helps, I really dont notice The smell They are right out side my room. They are great pets!

My first ferret costed about 30 bucks, small cage litter litter box, food, treats and some toys. My second one, he costed about 120 bucks.

Back