What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats your favorite band?

• Thread starter 7santiago
  • Start date
I think the greatest singer of all time is andrea bocelli.

pink floyd, tool, queensryche in no particular order...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ June 16 2006,12:09)]i like nickleback too
smile.gif
I can't stand them. They are so cliche.
mad.gif

QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long Live Freddie

If the Rolling Stones had broken up in 71-72, maybe they'd be my all-time favorite.  But I can't overlook how badly they've sucked for 30+ years.  Which is to say the entire time I've known of them.  The Beatles were consistently great, but they never came close to anything like Sympathy for the Devil or Midnight Rambler.  Of course no Beatles song was ever as bad as Start Me Up.  I gues they just had the good fortune to break up before the rot set in.  As for music too young for the AARP, I can like just about anything with feedback and that soft/hard dynamic thing.

pink floyd was great but they have this tendency to get all wierd in the middle of their songs...
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ June 16 2006,11:01)]pink floyd was great but they have this tendency to get all wierd in the middle of their songs...
confused.gif
When I was in college and "The Wall" was released, someone commented that you had to be high in order to appreciate Pink Floyd. Personally, I found their material to be slow and boring.

Then there was that Wizard of Oz thing...

I didn't like The Wall until I saw the movie and then was obsessed with it for a while.  I liked the Interstellar Overdrive style of Pink Floyd better.

By the way, I just got a used copy of Pearl Jam's Rearview Mirror today to get 'I Got Id'.  I think it might be the best song of the last 20 or more years and I wasn't happy about having to buy a single or a greatest hits collection to get it.  But I hadn't heard it on the radio in a long, long time.

That is Jim, IM sure you dont go and get high just to listen to a song and get intouch with the artists now do you!

I like Queen alot as well. I also really enjoy the Beatles, and Supertramp. In terms of more modern stuff I like The Arctic Monkeys, Brand New, and the Tragically Hip (Who I'm seeing in concert tomorrow night).

Zac

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ June 17 2006,11:27)]That is Jim, IM sure you dont go and get high just to listen to a song and get intouch with the artists now do you!
Nope, not my "cup of tea". Would much rather listen to Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Steve Miller (not Millar) Band during those years. There was melodic energy in their music!

..............you mean, other than MY band?

Grateful Dead

Incredible gifted mind merged inspiration. The 30 year old party on wheels! The records never captured what happened sometimes, not always, at the shows. I remember Watkin's Glen, NY 1977. The show was weak, but the SOUNDCHECK before the show was.....holy. People came a running and falling to hear it. When Jerry blew off on his leads into the great wide forever he took you right along. No music has ever been or will ever be to compare with this music.

I am into the home grown thing mostly these days. Often the best music is right there in your backyard with a nice chunk of chicken barbeque and salt taters , good herbs and good friends just a pickin and a grinnin.

I can't even remember where I put the radio. We do still have radio don't we? I feel so old, I have never heard of 80 per cent of these bands. Modern bands often sound like thirteen pounds of petrified HATE being rolled around in a garbage can. Ugly stuff and not too tasty to me. Sorta like opera, hahaha.

Simon and Garfunkle any day, and beautiful melody and harmony please! SONGS with meaning and direction, poetry.

AS FOR LOUD MUSIC: If y'all don't turn down your car stereo's you WILL be deaf by the time you reach my age, and you will probably reach my age. I'm a sound tech for George's Pro Sound and know whereof I speak.

Speaking of Woodstock.... CCR!!!!!

Thanks for mentioning CCR because they are too easily overlooked.  It's kind of amazing that Creedence was seen as a commercial, Top 40 single kind of band.  The best CCR songs match up with what anyone else did and their album filler was much better than Dead album filler.  More importantly, it was possible to slip Fortunate Son in amongst the Pistols and Clash when I went to college and not have somebody throw a bottle at the stereo.  I guess CCR never transported anyone into the great wide forever, but the songs are real and have been enjoyed by many more people than ever donned tie-die and traded Dead show tapes.

Funny you should say that... I co-worker of mine, way back when, touted himself as despising anything that was commercial. However, he was find of CCR and gave me a tape of Cosmos Factory. They have some sort of universal appeal, not unlike the Beatles. Here's an oddity... why does it seem as though while today's youth laugh at what was popular when I was a teen, and yet like the Monkees.
confused.gif

You know, I like a lot of bands. I dislike a lot of bands. But I find that no matter what, I can always tune in to some Jethro Tull and have a jam.

Love the musical styles, the development over time, the poetic aspect, the lyrics, all of it. Plus I don't need to feel bad about downloading their MP3s because I've got every single song on CD/vinyl/casset somewhere anyway. >_>b

Metal:
King Diamond/Mercyful Fate
Manowar
Witchfinder General
Venom
Black Sabbath
Impaled Nazarene (early stuff)

Goth/Ambient/Industrial:
Brighter Death Now
Ildfrost
Christian Death
Laibach
Muslimgauze

I have an endless list of "favorites"...!

Let's see here start with some Zepplin and add a touch of Van Morrison. Mix in some AC/DC and Van Halen with just a pinch of Van Hagar (can't take too much Sammy). Add a bunch of Eagles and Guess Who.
Bake at 350 and serve warm....

Sprinkle with Rush, ELO and Steely Dan if desired !

AC/DC sprinkled with ELO must be like a bowl of Froot Loops and tequila. I don't like them separately and combining them seems even worse. But Van Morrison is a great choice and, as I approach 45, I wonder more & more how Astral Weeks came out of someone so young.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ June 20 2006,7:45)] More importantly, it was possible to slip Fortunate Son in amongst the Pistols and Clash when I went to college and not have somebody throw a bottle at the stereo.  .
Most people are familiar with "Train In Vain", "Should I stay Or Should I Go", and "Rock The Casbah". Today I heard a remake of "I Fought The Law". That was a first for me.

Back