What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

our Ninja movie

mabudon

Metal King
or something like that, it's more of a light comedy with a bit of action mixed in, all done with action figures- we made it 2 years ago but it's taken this long for us to get in gear- and warning it's about 14 minutes long so make sure you aren't way busy if you are trying to enjoy it
biggrin.gif

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3253690733376733658

And if you have comments good or bad, feel free to post them, constructive criticism is always good

And the next film should feature some of my CP collection, as long as we can get past the mac/PC trouble we've been having- 2 computers 5 feet apart with no linkage between them just yet, fun fun!!

I could have sworn I had posted here.
Watched the movie, loved it!

To be honest I fast-forwarded quite a few times... it just seemed to drag a lot...

With action figures that hardly move at all, I think you have to pay a lot of attention to pacing. That just got compounded a lot by people talking really slowly (and even having their voices slowed down to make them deeper).

So when it takes a long time for two characters to have a conversation, and there's virtually nothing visual happening, it's very easy for attention to wander.

The intro was like that too... it's funny conceptually, but actually sitting through it taking that long is a little painful.

It could be awesome otherwise... just maybe a revisit to the dialog audio, and speeding up a lot of the footage. In fact, just try watching it at like 150-200% speed and see how it feels. That much plot in half that much time would be great. I'm probably overanalyzing as usual... but I hope this is being taken as constructive...

They always say comedy is hard, with really good reason. In school I made a funny script into a very unfunny little movie.

Oh yes, we know we know, and REALLY thank you for giving your honest thoughts- we are getting WAY better at pacing, movement, editing and everything- and the equpment- that thing was made on VHS with a busted camcorder, then ported to PC, then the audio recorded on VHS multitrack and ported in, it was kinda a nightmare with all the coversions.... we now have a proper setup and can do everything on one machine, which leaves less room for ideas getting lost in editing- I was the one who "directed" the thing but I had NO input into the editing

And to endparenthesis specifically- ironically, the main voice I think you identified as being "slowed down" is NOT slowed down- I've known the guy since he was maybe 11 and he just got HUGE and his voice sounds just like a slowed-down version of his "young" voice, everything else is at the proper speed, kinda funny
biggrin.gif

I will post our more recent things as they happen, hopefully you will see the improvements I mentioned
smile.gif

Im with endparenthesis on this one, but ill put it in a small scentence.

To slow, and think about working on those graphics and making them sync.

Okay- thank you Nep_ak, if THAT is what happened then we may also have player-version issues, since the film was not out of synch at all on the machine we made the final version on but I can't watch it at all on my older PC, even from a CD..
Hmmm we wil have to work on this- that's what ya get when you wait 2 years to put things up- and now we're having no end of trouble with getting our new stuff (all less than five minutes long you'll be pleased to know ;) ) to go from my mac onto my buddies PC... but no joke, thank you VERY much for checking it out, it is most important to see what other folks who don't have the benefit of the backstory or any sort of explanation think of your stuff and getting a solid consensus from totally different people is quite helpful
biggrin.gif

It's really really hard to see something you've been watching over and over and over and over with any kind of freshness... I totally understand that feeling...

Oh, also, fix your typos.
smile.gif

EXACTLY
not to mention, there are a LOT of injokes or otherwise obscure references, mostly drawn from awful 80's ninja films, good kung-fu films from the 70's, Star Wars and a couple of jokes in regards to the choice of action figures etc. We mostly made it to amuse ourselves and our close friends who (at least try real hard to) understand exactly where we'er coming from

Our aim now is to aim for a broader audience, and that will essentially mean 1 MUCH shorter, 2 MUCH tighter and 3 far broader references

F'rinstance, the film as it was made was ALMOST the same as if we made a REALLY fun CP film and posted it here- if written right it would likely go over real well, but dropped onto say a Star Wars figure collecting forum it might very well be poorly received, which is why I am MOST grateful for your watching it and commenting as you have- a single comment can sometimes help a whole lot, and having honest feedback is crucial- I was hoping it would be a tad more enjoyable to a broad audience, but I posted it here to learn as much as to share, so Thank You fellows once more
biggrin.gif

EDIT- AAACK Typoes?!?!? are you referring to my partners incessant use of "Venegence" or whatever it was?? as I mentioned, I have neither the video capabilities nor the processing speed to watch it properly, so I don't know what's wrong in it, but I imagine that you mean the venegence thing... If you could specify, I may not be able to fix it but I can give my buddy a fresh round of grief
smile.gif

Err, I just now learned that the word I always thought was spelled "bossom" is actually spelled "bosom".

You can now call your movie an educational video.
smile.gif

I do have a more encouraging comment though... now that I look at part of it again... I notice that the vocals are nicely done. In a lot of videos like this that people make, everyone sounds like they're just reading from a piece of paper... it rarely comes off as natural. So kudos on that... your vocals were quite natural, they just need to up the tempo.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Our aim now is to aim for a broader audience, and that will essentially mean 1 MUCH shorter, 2 MUCH tighter and 3 far broader references
I'd suggest not going too too broad... in my opinion it's much better to have a video most people don't get but that some people just absolutely love. The internet is quite niche-friendly.

Back