Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows or Macintosh!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ June 29 2006,1:25)]"My VFT's leaves/traps are turning black. Is my plant about to die?"
    Well IS IT?!?!!!
    LOL
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] i hate IE.........ever since i downloaded Mozilla Firefox ive been much happier it works better.
    Me too. I can't stand IE. I even try to move the IE icon to the edge of the screen but it comes back every time I boot up.
    Does anyone know how to remove IE safely and completely without damaging the operating system? Microsoft can stick it.....
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use firefox too... But keep IE around because some pages really want you to use that...
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (pasoftim @ June 29 2006,3:53)]Lets See who likes what here.
    I Work on Macintosh Computers all day. This Debate goes on forever!
    So I am Seeing how all you CP'ers Vote on which platform you guys like!

NO FIGHTING here!!!!!

Just Friendly Banter

So Im Starting off with Macintosh!

Jim
    Mac mini here and just got a Macbook! Also have a G3 ibook dual USB 500 Mhz machine that still runs fine. I ditched Windows 6+ years ago, got fed up with all the crap. I love Macs. Winblows™ will never again see the inside of my house.

Tom
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ June 29 2006,6:36)]I can't stand IE. I even try to move the IE icon to the edge of the screen but it comes back every time I boot up.
    Does anyone know how to remove IE safely and completely without damaging the operating system? Microsoft can stick it.....
    IE is an inextricable component of Windows... that's part of what the whole anti-trust case was about.

You can remove the desktop icon by going to Control Panel > Display > Desktop > Customize Desktop (little button at the bottom)... then uncheck IE (these instructions are for XP).

As far as the whole debate goes (no longer directed at CNCreefer), well, if you believe that the field of HCI can be considered a science (albeit a soft science) with decades of study and experimentation behind it, and if you believe that this body of research can come to objective factual conclusions about the quality of interface design, then MacOS is objectively and factually a superior interface to Windows. No debate needed.

As far as task-specific logistics of use, that's where things start getting more subjective. Graphic designers and accountants have different software/hardware requirements.

There are also interfaces out there superior to the Mac interface, but not many of them will make it into the public eye because so many of them have moved beyond the antiquated desktop metaphor, which is what the public is used to and has proven it will pay for. The ultimate goal of an interface is to be absolutely invisible. When you pick up a pencil, you aren't aware of all the neural activity and the mechanics involved in that action... you just pick it up. A computer interface needs to be somewhat similar... it should connect you to your data and then get out of the way. But it's hard to sell invisible software. People have to feel like they're getting something. It's a cruel joke that a great interface is destined to be totally unappreciated, because interfaces are by nature only noticable when they aren't working right.

Apple is as successful as it is in trying to grab marketshare because it's playing the "better than Windows" rather than the "different from Windows" game, which is smart, but unfortunate. It can't drift too far from what the public is comfortable with, even if that isn't the best the public could have. So those of us who want real innovation will only get so much satisfaction from Apple as well.

But, anyway, yeah, this thread will mostly be a waste of time. If only I could resist the urge to ramble...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad Jim For Starting all this Slapping hand WACK! (

adnedarn do you for give me?

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH by the way Bad thunder Storms here But filling up my 4 52 gallon trash cans for watering! )

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    pasoftim-- LOL- I wasn't being serious (well, yah there are lots of topics on it but I don't care if you start another) It seems when it comes to computers and OSs, many people just wanna stick with "what they know" I don't think I've ever seen one of these topics sway anyone one way or the other. It's always the same thing "MAC has less viruses and software problems blah blah" "Windows has more software available for it and you can play games blah blah..."
    I'm a windows guy, I played with Mac and wasn't impressed.... I also was givin "access" to a friends Linux box where I had access to my own user name... And in general I got borred in there too... lol
    -Andrew

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast