Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Mean Cottonmouth

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, ya didn't fool me Oz. I have a habit of reading the pics first (easier on my brain). I just liked your subtitle "At least he thought he was" . I thought the "legend in his own mind" fit that pretty good. But then I'm biased. LOL
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! Those cottonmouths have a bad attitude...even at that age. He is kinda' cute though.
    I saw one down on monument trail that defended his little pod of eatin' size tadpoles from two grown men. We splashed water on him with our boots and he still wouldn't back down.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cottonmouths are very misunderstood, as all snakes are. Cottonmouths have a reputation of being very aggressive. I have found that not true. Now I'm sure there are some very aggressive individuals, but none of the ones I have ever had contact with have been aggressive at all. There is an old saying about them that seems to be very true. First they are cowards. Next they are bluffers. Then they are warriors. If they know you're coming towards them they will head for the closest water and disappear. If you surprise them they will almost always stand their ground. They will use different tactics to scare you away. Hold their mouth open and show you their fangs is their first and favorite bluff. They will also expand their body to look bigger than they really are, and they will shake their tail on the ground to sound like a rattlesnake. I have never personally seen one get to the warrior phase. I have never even had a cottonmouth attempt to strike at me. I heard about a study that tested how much a cottonmouth would take before striking. Every cottonmouth tested would only strike if stepped on or restrained where it couldn't escape. Even if lightly handled they didn't strike. That don't sound aggressive to me at all, but defensive just the same as any other wild animal.
    I have found that copperheads are slightly more aggressive that cottonmouths. Cottonmouths will use the bluffing tactic until they are left alone or pushed to the point that have to bite. Copperheads will shake it's tail and stay ready to strike. If you come towards it it will do a few bluff strikes even if you are way out of it's strike range. It'll just strike at the air. Then if you get close enough it will strike and make contact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well they are still very venomous regaurdless of age.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water moccasins aren't aggressive; they're just confident. I saw plenty in Mississippi when they had more than enough time to hide or get away, but they didn't bother to. We had rattlesnakes and copperheads too, but I think they prefer not to be seen. I almost never saw a live copperhead and never did see a live rattlesnake.

One time a few of us in college went canoeing in northern Arkansas and the water moccasins up there were light-colored, almost like copperheads, but with the same patterning as regular water moccasins. Our last evening there, a baby about the size of your little friend kept swimming at my feet while I was fishing on the bank of the river. Not being aggressive - it was just hanging out. It was weirding me out, so I moved upstream. Within a few minutes it was at my feet again. Maybe the river was full of them and they all like feet, but I think that snake followed me. It's things like that that made me decide to move north.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's things like that that made me move back South. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have great eye sight Ozzy!
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how badly it would turn out if a guy was bitten by one as small as the one you encountered.
    I know they are venomous...or is it poisonus?...from birth but how much venom could they inject?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast