User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: interested in ppls opinions.............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    technically this should prolly go in the critter forum but i would like it to stick around here so more ppl see it.

as some of you know i keep frogs and am getting into inverts such as tarantulas and scorpions. ive been reading alot on an invert board and these guys absolutly freak out about mold. my dart frog tanks are generally close to 100% saturated, have leaf litter and wood along with live plants. i have ZERO problems with mold after the first month which is normal. invert keepers, using the same type of soils(peat and cocofiber) in just slightly damp conditions seem to have a heck of a time with mold and freak out about it because it can kill the T's

why is it i have no problems with mold in saturated poor air circulation conditions but these ppl routinly have problems in barly damp soil with much better air circulation? i cant figure it out.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know..
    but the only thing I can think of is that perhaps REALLY wet is a less hospitable habitat for mold than "barely damp"

you would think more wet = more mold,
    but perhaps mold has a threshold where it doesnt like TOO wet??
    and perhaps your tank is "over the line" and so..no mold.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are the light levels comparable? I would think to have live plants you probably keep it quite bright, while if they just have inverts they might not keep it as well lit?
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure about light levels. my tanks are brightly lit from day one. and as with most other individuals dart tanks i do have mold everywhere for about a month when i set up a tank with new wood and such. as for being to wet. in a couple of the tanks there is a wide variety of different levels of wetness in the tank
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at the abg, the tanks are "saturated" like yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to understand how people who not only don't mind spiders and scorpions but even keep them nearby on purpose can freak out about anything. But if their critters are more susceptible to mold than your critters, maybe the negligible mold have in your tanks would be too much for them.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche