User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Nurseries in Western Washington

Gig Harbor, WA, United States (40 miles from Seattle)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My birthday is coming up, and my wife is buying me a few "better quality plants" Since, I have taken such a loving interest in my new babies. But I want to go TO a nursery and not order online. I won't have time to go to Sarracenia Northwest in Oregon, so I would rather go to one here in western Washington. Anyone know of one in the Tacoma/Seatte/Bremerton area?
    I must get food for Master.......

Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....080;r=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why dont you just order them? Sarracenia Northwest isnt open to the public if you didnt know.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea, I know SN isn't open to the public, but they sell to the public on Saturdays at Gresham Farmer's Market and Portland Saturday Market. And I don't want to order, if I don't have to, because I don't want the hassle or risk of climate shock.

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Janson, where in Western Washington do you live? I am in Puyallup, and another grower, Homer, lives in a few blocks from me. There are two carnivorous plant nurseries that I am aware of in Western Washington. Karen Oudean of Oudean's Willow Creek Nursery is up in Snohomish http://www.oudeanswillowcreeknursery.com/ and then there is Cascade Carnivores http://www.cascadecarnivores.com/ I think near Kent. Karen has a lot of sarracenia with a good selection of drosera and pings. Of course, she also has VFT's. CC is mainly a nepenthes nursery. I have not been up there before, but I would like to make a trip up there some day. A trip up to Karen's is a great one to make. I try to make it up there atleast once, sometimes twice. Hope this helps you out.

-Jeremy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jeremy

Thanks for that info. See, I was not aware of a nursery like that in kent. I live in Gig Harbor. This guy, Homer, where is his place? And what is the selection like? I think I could make a trip to Karen's. I also think there is one called Courting Frog's up there somewhere. And the Exotic Plant Nursery in Ruston, (on the corner where you turn off of Pearl going to the zoo) has a few Sarrs and a couple of VFT's and Sundews, but they are not in the best health, and not worth the price he asks. Anyway, I'm glad to find someone from around me that grows. I'll have to stay in touch. Let me know about Homer or any other places you may think of.

Janson

Grow List

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Homer is actually one of our forum members. A skilled grower he is too...but he's not a public nursery. He made some very generous offerings in the NASC auction. I don't think he sells plants but I could be wrong.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Thanks PAK

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]This guy, Homer, where is his place?
    I live in Puyallup as well. I just grow "a lot" of Sarracenia and Drosera mainly... enough to sell or trade occasionally. I don't have a true nursery (Ask Jeremy about his "farm" ), although the possibilities of expanding my collection outdoors has gathered some steam since my wife and I just bought our place. The only 2 things holding me back are time and money .

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Exotic Plant Nursery in Ruston, (on the corner where you turn off of Pearl going to the zoo) has a few Sarrs and a couple of VFT's and Sundews, but they are not in the best health, and not worth the price he asks.
    Really!? That's interesting. My wife and I drove by there this past Saturday. Too bad only a few overly-priced CPs are offered for sale

Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, Homer, you really should start a CP Nursery out here. There are none, really. The nearest is Snohomish as far as I am gathering. Cascade Carnivores recently shut down, so there is definitely a demand, but no supply. The only place is Snohomish or Portland on Saturdays, where Sarracenia Northwest sells. I am starting school next month in Horticultural Science, specialty: Carnivores. If you do decide to do it, and you need an (extremely motivated and interested) employee, let me know. I'm serious. I want to start my own nursery out here, on this side of the Narrows, but I want some experience working for a semi pro first. So let me know.

Janson

Grow List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast