What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with my RO filter

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
i ordered an american made Lan Shan Brand 3 stage RO filter from deutchland, and it came with no instructions. i got it set up and have a question.

on the bottom of the RO filter canister, there are 2 valves. one is just a hose and it trickles out and that is the pure water. the other has an on off valve and thats waste. when the valve on closed, wast water still comes out. why is this? when the valve is open, water rushes out like it's from the faucet. should the valve be open or closed? please explain this to me, and thank you.

That valve should be "closed" so the water comes out slowly... And that will produce the ro water by forcing the water through the membrane.. Every now and again "open" that valve and run it for a few mins... That rushes water by the membrane to wash away TDS build up and keeps the Membrane in top condition and it producing the best it can.
smile.gif
That is a "flow restricter/flush valve" by the way.
smile.gif

Andrew

Edit: the one with this valve is known as "brine" water by the way.. that is the "waste" water that is going to be high in TDS. Usually that just goes down the drain, but you can catch it and water house plants and such... (or just run on the ground outside if it is not too far away....)

thanks, that clears alot up
smile.gif

i'm so excited about it, but it's sooo slow. that's ok though.

i water my plants half the time with distilled and the other half with well water (yes, well!) my plants should really take off now
biggrin.gif

I assume it came with a storage tank? That's usually how the slowness is dealt with. If not small tanks can be found at places like Lowes.

nope. sure didn't. i'm using a 5 gallon bucket and that's working fine so far.

redneck RO
smile.gif

My RO system came with a 4 gallon tank (that's what they typically come with <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/New-100-perfect-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-water-filter-tank_W0QQitemZ160005491280QQihZ006QQcatego

ryZ20684QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">like this one</a>) but I also set my sysem up with a 14 gallon tank like <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ROPRO-14-Gallon-Reverse-Osmosis-Tank_W0QQitemZ170006130038QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20684QQssPage

NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">this one on ebay</a> It's very nice to have that much water sitting around when you need it. (And with a g/h... I NEED IT!!!)

edit!!! If you are going to use a tank or something like this... and you would like to automate it... You need to get a ASO valve (automatic shut off valve) so it doesn't contenue to waste water. I once had a float system set up on a 55 gallon drum... I figure you could do that to a smaller tank if you want. But then you'd have to pour it out of that bucket to a transport bucket since it'd be connected to your ro system..... I had mine on a gravity feed line with the 55 gal drum on a high stand. It worked good.... UNTIL the 55 gal drum started growing algae all the time. LOL that's why i went to tanks. a 5 gal bucket would be easier to clean every now and again ... not have ing to waste 55 gals of RO water to accomplish that.....

i think i'll stick with a bucket, it's a long time before i need a 55 gallon container
smile.gif

i only water like once a week.

I'm saying you can do the same setup with a 5 gal bucket.
smile_m_32.gif
Wait till the first few times you forget to check on it...
smile_m_32.gif

lol, thanks
biggrin.gif

i've flooded the house a few times with my marine aquarium. my parents are used to this
biggrin.gif

Back