Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: i'm GOING to do it this time!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right but can nicotine do anything bad from the patch?

quitting meth was easier for me than nicotine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicotine is almost 50x more toxic than arsenic... so I think it can legitimately be considered a poison here.

Another thing that can work against you in the addiction is the feeling (illusion) that since you're used to it, it must be safe.

My grandfather died recently of emphysema. He smoked for a decade or two when he was young. When it started to become clear that cigarettes were dangerous (in his day they really didn't know) he quit. One day, 40 healthy smoke-less years later, he suddenly can't breathe. He ends up strapped to an oxygen machine for the last years of his life. Before that day, he was doing things people 20 years younger couldn't do.

You aren't safe.

Anger, fear, whatever... they're all much more useful feelings to feel than longing in this situation. Intellectually you know that this is bad for you, but a more primal experiential part of you thinks it's good for you (and not just chemically)... it's that part that you need to dig up and boot out of your psyche. If that part weren't there, it would be impossible for cigarettes to appeal to you.

I keep thinking of some people I know who are trying to lose weight. They say things like, "I wish I could eat all of this junk without gaining weight." Their problem is right there in black and white. If they see oreos as the most comforting best tasting treat ever, then the struggle will always be there. If they see oreos as nutritionally-defunct garbage engineered to deceive a person's tastebuds into thinking something is "good" when it isn't (and then being charged money to get deceived by people who don't give a crap about their health), they're instantly cured, as long as they don't forget the truth.

So... deal with the want. The want is the real threat.

It might also help to just see the withdrawal symptoms like you might see something like the flu... you can ease it a little with medication, but otherwise it's just a nasty experience that you really can't do much about and you're forced to just wait it out. The idea that you can just "undo" it is too seductive... try to forget about that and see the withdrawal as something that's just out of your hands.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOW IS THE TIME, CLINT!!! Quitting is hard and it only gets harder, the longer you wait. My buddy Jonny is trying to quit right now (or rather, talking about quitting immediately before asking to bum a cig) and I'm giving him hell because he is WEAK!
    I used to smoke back when I was a little younger than you, really bad. I quit once with moderate success, but didn't actually stop smoking. I cut way back and told people I was quitting, but the cravings never went away. And even though I was only smoking a fraction of what I had been before, I remained a daily smoker and was still wheezing and sickly from it. After a while, 'quitting' stopped meaning much to me and I was back to smoking whenever the compulsion hit me, albeit I was a little more moderate. So, tip no. 1 from Joe; if it is at all possible, quit cold turkey. Say no and mean it. If you don't, your subconcious will get the better of you and make all kinds of excuses as to why you can smoke one cig now and still not be a "smoker." Eventually the commitment you've made will become meaningless.
    When I was in high school and right about your age, I had lots of extra credits in math and english so I didn't have to take the mandatory courses in those areas my junior and senior years. So, I got out of school one period early. On Thursdays, when we only had even-numbered periods, that meant that I got out at lunch time, along with several of my friends. So somebody came up with this absurd idea to buy cheap cigars and have a 'smoking club' of sorts on Thursday afternoons. Now, I know some cigars are good and I've enjoyed a few, but these were not good cigars. I remember thinking that mine tasted of slightly spoiled deli ham and leaf mould. Anyhow, there were lots of big, forested parks around my neighborhood where we used to hang out, so on one such smoking club day we hiked out into the woods to smoke. I wasn't paying too much attention, and was inhaling my cigar bit by bit rather than just puffing on it. So, cigars done, time to go find some other trouble, we get up and start walking around and I feel REALLY woozy. I'm talking root-canal anesthesia quality woozy, only not in a good way. After about twenty minutes of hiking up and down hills with no trails, I was green as a leaf and had to lie down. I don't know how long I was down, but I think the Earth revolved around me a few dozen times before I started to feel better. Ever since then, I have had very little compunction to even obtain tobacco products, and although I'll still bum a drag off of a friend every now and again, I've yet to be compelled to smoke an entire cigarette - the very notion makes my stomach turn just a little. So, tip from Joe no. 2: vigorous exercise interspersed with cheap cigars. Negative reinforcement can work wonders.
    All in all, you've made an excellent decision and I'm glad to hear that you're doing it now when most kids still think they're invincible and susceptible to no one's influence but their own. We're all backing you 120%.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chew a lot of mint gum.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dudes the patch is awesome. without the patch i would be clawing at the walls but with the patch i feel like i could take it out leave it. i've hardly though about cigs all day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys are so supportive, thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im hear to show suport. 3ish years ago I had started, and got hooked for a year, then After that year I had to move, a month. So Me being 15 I had no choice but to quit cause getting them wasnt an option any more.

That was the longest trip of my life. Ill be rootin for ya!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i smoked for 10 years and i quit. food and the patch did the trick for me. my most tough day was day 5. man! cranky is an understatement.... how bout PURE EVIL. well anyway, it helps to keep yourself distracted. i ate a LOT of cheesecake. i gained a tad bit of weight but i lost it later on. small price to pay in my case.

just hang in there. whenever i had a reeal bad craving, i would remind myself that there is nicotine in my system from the patch- quit whining and ****! i'd go throw a tatrum for a bit then try to find something to do. whether it was coloring or playing a game or whatever.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast