Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scale

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you get rid of scale? Some of my non-cp have scale on them. I have sprayed them with Orthro several times, but the scale just won't die. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    PS- Some of the Orthro drifed on my moms tomato plant. Is it ok to eat the tomatoes from it or will it be too dangerous?
    Thanks,
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scale is a hard one. I've been there. I got scale on my cephs...and they are back on my one remaining ceph. I used a systemic spray. It seemed to work and didn't hurt the plants. You can also hand pick them off but the babies are hard to see and can hide all over. That's what makes getting rid of them so hard.

I don't know about eating things sprayed with insecticide. It should tell you on the label. But if you are talking about drift, I'd say a good washing would make it alright.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ July 14 2006,12:03)]Scale is a hard one. I've been there. I got scale on my cephs...and they are back on my one remaining ceph. I used a systemic spray. It seemed to work and didn't hurt the plants. You can also hand pick them off but the babies are hard to see and can hide all over. That's what makes getting rid of them so hard.

I don't know about eating things sprayed with insecticide. It should tell you on the label. But if you are talking about drift, I'd say a good washing would make it alright.
    The label said not to use it on anything that might be used as food.

These scale just won't die No matter how much systemic insectide I use, they just keep coming back.
    dewy
    My grow list/want list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does scale do any damage? I see them all the time on phyllodia - they seem to leave new pitchers alone.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scale will suck the life out of your plant. Not if its a large plant and there are only a few...but they spread (breed) pretty rapidly. I've seen some books recommend just pitching your plant if its heavily invested.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ July 14 2006,1:32)]Does scale do any damage? I see them all the time on phyllodia - they seem to leave new pitchers alone.
    They are not on my cp, they are in some other plants I grow. I would like to stop them, though, before the spread to my cp.
    dewy
    My grow list/want list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they are like aphids but harde to get rid of. i had just 2 or 3 adults(cemented to the leaf) on my nep and just scraped them off...nevr returned.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merit works good on scale, but is expecive. Since you say its only on a few plants there is a cheaper alternative. Go to Lowes and look in the insect spray isle. Bayer makes an insect spray for rose and flowers. It contains Merit, a systemic insectacide. Its the same stuff frontline is made of for dogs. Its premixxed and costs about 5 buck or so. There is a three in one that has fertilizer, and one that doesn't just read carfully. Word of warning though. This stuff does not kill mites but will kill other preditors that feed on mites and keep mites in control. So if there are mites you may kill the scale, and allow the mites population to explode.

An alternative would be to hand pick off the scale with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. It just takes persistance to get them all as they hide easily.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast