Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Pics

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ya all! Just got back from a quick trip to Yellowstone National Park this week and thought I'd post a few pics of some of the highlights.

One of the things (aside from the geysers) that the park is famous for its scenic veiws.

Kepler Cascades.

This picture doesn't begin to give you an impression of the size of the cascades...or the view.

My daughter and I had a competition going to see who would spot the most wild life. She spotted this bear first.

She also saw a couple coyotes just after we entered the park but I only caught a glimpse of the second one. We did see a third one but only got a very grainy pic of it. We also saw two wolves at a pretty good distance.

We both saw this guy at the same time. He was hard to miss as he was standing on the left shoulder of the road causing a traffic jam as every body stopped to take pictures. I would never be so inconsiderate as to stop to take pictures and block traffic of course. Fortunately, my wife was driving.

She also spotted about 6 of these cut throat trout. They're about 16"/40.6cm long

I did manage to spot this guy first.

He joined his mom who was a short distance away.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course no trip to Yellowstone is complete without at least a few pics of geysers or such. This is the one thing about Yellowstone in which I was somewhat disappointed. There just wasn't as much geyser activity as I expected. Some of them weren't much more exciting than farting in the bath tub and just about as stinky. I took pics of Old Faithful and several other geysers, but they didn't turn out very well so I'm not going to waste space posting them. However, I did take a few pics of the springs that turned out OK. To give you and idea of how hot the water is, the temp in Yellowstone ranged in the 85F to 89F (29.4C to 31.7C). Yet steam is still visible in most of the hot springs.

Crater spring

Saphire Pool

Mud Volcano. The word "volcano" is used somewhat loosely I think.

These are created when the water in the hot spring becomes so acidic that it causes the rock and soil to break down into a slurry that is constantly stirred by the rising bubbles of steam.

I liked the colors in this one.

A geyser wanabe.

And a pic of one of the formations at Mamoth Hot Springs.

I only got to stay three days and wish I'd had a full five days (and a younger body) to spend there exploring. I'd go again just for the scenery and wildlife.
    ---Steve Allinger---

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome! thats in wyoming right?
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, with a small bit in Montana and Idaho.
    ---Steve Allinger---

My Grow List

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhhhhhh...how beautiful! You are so lucky to have been able to see all that. The wildlife, the flowers, the rocks...I'd be in heaven.

The sapphire pool didn't load for me.

Thanks for posting those....if you have any more, feel free to post 'em.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    believe it or not ive never been to Yellowstone though i am familiar with the area, was within 60 miles of it a few weeks ago. seeing coyotes was a big deal? they are labeled targets of oppertunity up here. most ranchers arent to happy if you see one and have easy access to a rifle and dont take a shot. with the exception of the geothermal activity, Glacier Park is far better IMHO, the scenery will make your jaw drop on the Going To The Sun Highway.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My boss just came back from Yellowstone too. If I woulds known you'd be there I coulda sent you my entire Nep collection in exchange for you introducing him to a bear or helping him get a closer look at the geysers.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
    Droserae will inherit the earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast