What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car theft

• Thread starter Lauderdale
  • Start date
Here is info worth the price of your car!!

Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car without any effort at all. The car thief peers through the windshield of your car, writes down the VIN # from the label on the dash, goes to the local car dealership, tells them he has lost his keys and requests a duplicate key based on the VIN #.  The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN # on the spot and probably even suggest you order a keyless entry device from them.

He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.  He also will probably get your name and address from your registration, call you to say your car has been recovered and while you are gone, rob your house.  This makes for a really bad day and State Farm is going to be real unhappy with you.

To prevent this from happening to you, simply put some electrical tape across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN #, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield.

Verified at the Urban Legends web site:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/theft/theft.asp

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Good tip. Maybe the dust is thick enough on my dashboard to cover the VIN?
confused.gif

Thats why I always cover that thing and I always pull out the fuses before I leave my car anywhere.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]VIN # from the label on the dash, goes to the local car dealership

VIN plate on the dashboard?? Surely the VIN plate is under the bonnet (hood) or in the boot (trunk). What kind of car do you have?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ July 17 2006,5:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]VIN # from the label on the dash, goes to the local car dealership

VIN plate on the dashboard?? Surely the VIN plate is under the bonnet (hood) or in the boot (trunk). What kind of car do you have?
xbvin.jpg

Copcar is correct.

I have my eye (20x binoculears) on a black ZO6 corvette and a breathtaking deep metallic blue Aston Martin DB9 in the parking lot of a condo across the river.
smile.gif

---------Gone in 60 seconds---------

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ July 18 2006,11:16)]Copcar is correct.

I have my eye (20x binoculears) on a black ZO6 corvette and a breathtaking deep metallic blue Aston Martin DB9 in the parking lot of a condo across the river.
smile.gif

---------Gone in 60 seconds---------
Man, I wish I saw a Aston Martin DB9 outside my window everyday.  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

If I were to steal one, I would go for the DB9.

The only time I ever tried to get a key from a dealer it was an ordeal. They definitely will not just manufacture a key with only the VIN. I think there are actually state and federal guidelines associated with that.

Whose genius idea was it to put the plate there?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ July 18 2006,11:43)]Whose genius idea was it to put the plate there?  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Probably a car thief.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ July 18 2006,11:43)]Whose genius idea was it to put the plate there?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Law enforcement use it alot on checks. Since license plants ( <---hahaha guess I'm at this forum too much! license PLATES!!) and such can be swapped so easily. Placing tape over your vin could lead to your vehicle being towed if a cop susspects somethign and they can't see the vin to verify or not if it is the vehicle in question. I agree with Dyflam that it would not be so easy to get a key. Second off... Get a aftermarket alarm and a "club" Those two things are always highly recomended anyway since getting into a vehicle is easy no matter how you look at it, and for some cars, getting them started is cake also. Remember the more 'safegaurds' you have in place. The safer your car will be.
Andrew

Back