Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large foam board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oop I forgot to add, Office Depot/Office Max has oversized foamcore sheets (up to 6 ft long) but if I remember right they were kinda expensive for what you get. Cheaper to use clear packing tape to "double up" a regular 2 ft 3 ft sheets of foam core.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Swords! I might stop by Home Depot today and pick up a few of those 4 x 8 boards. I probably would only need the 1/2 inch think ones, so how much do you think those would be?

Also, I went to Office Max and I didn't see anything but the smaller boards. Are the bigger ones somewhere special in the store?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure you want to use insulation? I don't understand why you'd need to keep a grow rack insulated in California. I thought you wanted light, not necessarily heat. A fully insulated, six foot tall grow rack lit with fluorescents at every shelf would roast. It would be little different than a giant terrarium, only the insulation probably wouldn't handle the humidity as well as glass. I kept my old apartment warm in the winter by leaving my grow rack running late at night. If you're just looking for light, you should go to the sporting goods store and pick up some mylar emergency blankets, and stretch them around the outside of the rack. Attach with packing tape, and they last pretty long (mine survived being ripped off and put back up twice, and I could probably put it up again.) Shiny side in for brightness and heat; shiny side out will give you roughly the same light with less heat and glare. Covering all but one broad side of a 4 x 1.5 x 6 foot rack takes four blankets tops; when I did it I spent less than $20, including the tape.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my grow rack is basically an old DVD/CD stand, so the plants aren't completely within it, which means I just need to make a box of some kind of material around it to keep the light in. I don't really need the insulation, I just picked foam because it's not heavy and easily moved for when I need to water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the foil/cardboard on three sides and the shoplight rigged up to the underside of the shelves. Plants seem happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I ended up going to Home Depot and picking up three nice sized pieces of foam (I think they're 48 inches in height, but I can't quite remember!) for about 5 bucks each. They do the job perfectly, blocking out all the light and keeping it all within the growing area.

Problem solved for a mere $15

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12