What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My pet Hedgehog

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
here she is as 6 weeks old. she's an african pygmy hedgehog. she's triple that size now. oh and my friend halie is holding her while i take the pics (just in case someone thought i wore blue nailpolish
confused.gif
)

dsc00755eb1.jpg

dsc00757fs8.jpg

dsc00758ie4.jpg

she only rolls into a ball when i scare her, then she smels my hand and lays down her quills. she loves kisses on her tummy and for me to rub her chin. she hates baths and being woken up!

That's cute!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]she's triple that size now. oh and my friend halie is holding her

Are you talking about the hedgehog or your friend.

And she is cute. At least her hands are.
smile_n_32.gif

That's so awesome. Stupid USDA regulations.

Peter

you can have them if you get a breeders license

Make sure to play with her a lot, it's important to make a bond with young hedgehogs because as adults they are very capable of keeping you at arm's length. You want to be on her good side. I had a male once, and he took a lot of work. I was pretty good with him but in his old age he got cranky and solitary, which made him much harder to care for. Get your girl accustomed to baths, too, because they love to get messy and smelly, and a stinky little pincushion isn't very fun to play with. If you can get her a shallow, sloped dish where she can approach the water voluntarily it might be a good start - that's how I got my guy to take baths.
Best luck and have fun,
~Joe

oh i play with her everyday. she LOVES me! she loves chicken and beef and pork, but i really shouldn't give it to her.

As I remember, little treats are OK if you have her on a well-balanced staple diet. Can you get her to eat any veggies? My guy used to have a fondness for onions and asparagus, but I think he only ate it to be stinky. Fish too, he'd eat a little and then go to town washing his quills with fishy saliva. Hedgehogs are hilarious.
~Joe

Prickle the mighty steak hunter

My Hedgehog from a few years back. I can't believe I still have a geocities page. If it flops under the load I will move it to another site.

I have raised AP hedgies for years. I think they are awesome. I just have one now having sold the rest and and a few pass from old age (8+ years). They are awesome pets. You can feed them the same beetles you give to your Neps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ July 19 2006,5:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]she's triple that size now. oh and my friend halie is holding her

Are you talking about the hedgehog or your friend.
I was tempted to ask that about the last paragraph.
smile_n_32.gif

the hedgie duh lol

I dont get it why do you have to have a breeders liscence? Sounds like a pain! My old after school stuff (back in like 5th grade) had a pet hedghog, I bet they didnt have a liscence!

I don't have a pet hedgehog but there live some wild ones in my garden, I love them ! Somethimes we feed them dogfood
smile_n_32.gif

what amazing little creatures... i don't even think we have them in florida. I 've never seen them. What prompted you to choose a hedghog for a pet?

Breeders licenses, laws, etc go by state. Some have them, some don't. Its good in some regards to stop idiots from raising certain animals. Like cougars...:O it just makes life a bit more difficult for them to keep.

jorick, I would nix the dog food feeding on wild animals.... don't want to give them liver damage or worse with all the crap in there. just get a box of cheerios or other more plain stuff.

You can have AP Hedgehogs in Florida if you intend to breed them you must get a license from the Florida Fish and Wildlife commision to sell and exhibit wildlife. The amount of hedgehogs you have decides what level of license you need to get. This is basically the same license that zoos in Florida must have.

You can buy AP hedgehogs in most pet stores. The thing I recommend if you get one is buy one that is registered and has a lineage history. It will help with disease issues and make sure you get a quality hedgie.

A hedgepiggie! How cute.
smile.gif
I'll bet she's entertaining.

@ Jojo - it's not that i did fed it every day... actually this year I haven't seem them ( they are with three ) probably because of the dog.

What do you mean with crap in there ? My dog eats it !

dog food has alot of byproducts (eyeballs, guts, bones). online they say to feed your hedgie special hedgehog food (i do) or high protein low fat cat food that says turkey, beef, chicken, fish etc in the ingredient. your not supposed to use food that says beef byproduct, chicken byproduct, etc.

i chose a hedgehog for a pet because i've wanted one for about 7 years and it's waaaay cooler than a hamster or guinea pig
smile.gif

I used to have a ferret... you could feed them cat food if you had to, but dog food was out of the question.

Totally different animals of course. But if the animal needs a lot of animal matter in its food, dog food won't help much. Low quality dog food anyway.

Back