What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scavenger hunt was sucessful

while out helping my uncle with his varmit problem a couple weeks ago my brother and i noticed a couple of turtles in one of his small cow ponds. now this really isnt the ideal place for turtles so we decided to come back later on and catch them, keep them for awhile to show Darlas girls and turn them loose in the creek later on this summer. well last night we went out to attemp capture. well it turns out my minnow seine isnt ideal for use in a cow pond especially when the edges have REALLY soft, EXTREAMLY smelly mud that will swollow you up to your knees. didnt get any turtles but we did seine out a young tiger salamander that had just about lost its gills. cool, and into a bucket of water it went. having given up on the turtles with a plan to come back a different day with a different plan we headed over to the creek which is now a series of ponds due to the dry weather, water is still running but its flowing underground through the gravel in spots.

now with all the extra room i now have i decided i wanted a crayfish. after an hour of wading with a small up i had managed to catch 3 lil ones. i said the heck with it and sent my brother after the seine. i figured maybe i would catch a couple more and that would be it. we get a few extra as the seine is old and only works so-so. we seine aportion of a pool about 6 feet wide and 10 feet long through some weeds. when we pulled the seine out of the water and on to the beach you should have seen our faces. 3 minutes work yielded around 60 crayfish of all sizesvery cool. tossed a couple handfuls in the bucket tossed the rest back in te water and tried again. this time we really hit the jackpot. along with another 60 or so crayfish we also had 3 small bullheads(small catfish, these were about 3 inches long we saw some swimming that were closer to 8 inches) several hundred baby bullheads under 1/2 inch long, a half dozen dragonfly nymphs and a water scorpion.

so at the moment ive got a couple crayfish and some bullheads along with baby dragonflies and the water scorpion in a ten gal tank and about 25 crayfish and soem baby bullheads in a 5 foot in diameter tub out in the yard that im not sure what im going to do with.

was a fruitfull evening, now to figure out what im going to do with everything................... anyone down south want to send me an amphiuma so i have something that eats crayfish? i figure a couple sweeps through that one spot and i can feed one for a year
smile_n_32.gif

will post pics of some of the haul later this weekend

I think it's possible for someone to have too much room. So much room that bringing a bunch of crawfish & bullheads home can seem like a good idea.

Sounds like a fun outing!
smile.gif

Why don't you eat the crayfish??  Them thar crawdads is yummy!

You will kill a deer and eat it but you keep crayfish as pets?  
confused.gif

I just don't know about you, Rattler....
smile_n_32.gif

lol PAK, most are to small to eat. didnt catch any large ones. besides i dont care for shrimp, doubt ill like crayfish.

Bruce, the wife informed me that i have to behave myself since she is trying to get stuff paid off this summer................im just following orders: "entertain yourself but dont spend much money"
smile_m_32.gif

Back