Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay.. weird.

i typed in C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll31.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msmsgs.exe

and tried to delete it. it wouldn't let me. i then clicked the boxes and tried to end the processes the processes, it could not end task on any.

i also didn't find any info on goiaba.exe or
    wxywb.exe on google.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]and tried to delete it. it wouldn't let me. i then clicked the boxes and tried to end the processes the processes, it could not end task on any.
    Chances are you need to tell killbox to delete them on startup.

Be sure to only delete things that shouldn't be there. It should be fine to get rid of msmsgs (which is part of MS messenger) but I don't know off the top of my head if getting rid of spoolsv is a good idea or id rundll31 is a real windows file or not, be sure to read up on whatever you want to delete before doing anything else. If you can't find information on something, then the chances are that it's safe to delete.

You may wish to do a virus scan on all 5 of those exes before doing anything else. By the way, still getting popups? If so, do you have windows messenger open?
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am getting popups,and i dont have WM. thanks to you guys's help i'm getting few enough to live with

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]i am getting popups,and i dont have WM. thanks to you guys's help i'm getting few enough to live with
    Well, we should be able to eliminate it down to the popups that everyone has to deal with (that is, the ones you get from visiting websites.) At the very least we've already closed some major security breaches (including trojan horses which allow others pretty much unlimited acces to your computer.) So so far so good. You shouldn't get any more popups when not browsing the internet, and your homepage should now be whatever you set it to be.

Let us know what problems persist.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man you guys have patience... I would have recommend (and still do recommend) reformatting your hard drive. When your dealing with really nefarious programs and such egregious security breaches, you probably will never be able to clean your system until it's spotless. I would never feel safe entering a credit-card number, banking information or even a password into a computer that had been compromised the way you've described. You never know if rootkits (extremely well-hidden programs) are still running without your knowledge. A fresh reinstall would solve all of your problems and once you're set up properly again, immunize you from any in the future. I haven't seen a pop-up in years. Let us know what you decide to do.

~ Brett

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm gonna have to ask my rents on that one

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Man you guys have patience... I would have recommend (and still do recommend) reformatting your hard drive. When your dealing with really nefarious programs and such egregious security breaches, you probably will never be able to clean your system until it's spotless. I would never feel safe entering a credit-card number, banking information or even a password into a computer that had been compromised the way you've described. You never know if rootkits (extremely well-hidden programs) are still running without your knowledge. A fresh reinstall would solve all of your problems and once you're set up properly again, immunize you from any in the future. I haven't seen a pop-up in years. Let us know what you decide to do.
    That's a fine way to go if you plan for it, but if not it sucks to have to install all of your stuff again. I don't intend on running in to any problems, but I've got my system files on a different partition than my data files. I could easily swipe the partition with XP on it and reinstall XP at any given point. Well... I feel dishonest using "easy" and "reinstall XP" in the same sentence... but you get the idea!

The biggest problem in terms of security was the trojan horses. Most of the time when somebody gets a trojan horse it amounts to nothing because there's no one "looking" anyway. But leaving a door open is a good way to get in to trouble! The popups thing isn't such a big deal; it happens. Half of the battle is STOPPING XP from the start. You need to tell it you don't want windows firewall, you don't want windows messenger, you want to undo all of the UPnP (universal plug and play,) etc, etc.

But let me just make a point about security: All these big nasties were present and we didn't hear a PEEP from Norton. Nothing is too great at preventing things from getting on to your computer (besides knowledge,) but Norton should have alerted you that there are viruses present.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 22 2006,3:40)]please help me guys. i have yahoo,google, norton, and IE popup blockers. i have spybot search and destroy and ad-aware.
    JLAP, do you use a firewall??

If not I would suggest finding one real quick. There are several free ones out there. I use Zone Alarm, but there are several others Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware are great programs, but they only treat the problems your computer already has. A firewall can prevent you from getting them and if you do get one it can prevent it from accessing the internet to download crap onto your computer. Like pop-up adds.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast