Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: an answer to the oil shortage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is we use too much energy. Brazil (I'm pretty sure that's who it is) has used ethanol to replace a lot of its gasoline, but compare the per capita use there to here. Plus Brazil can grow sugar cane in that intense tropical sun and produce much more energy per acre. At least in the short term, until it toasts its land with so much non-sustainable production.

It's hard to see where all the additional agricultural production could happen for even a fraction of the ethanol we'd need. Actually, it isn't that hard. A lot of productive land around the starving world will be diverted to crops to produce the ethanol needed to keep fat American ***es in fat cars. And a lot of water will be diverted to that crop, so maybe people can humanely die of thirst instead of lingering around while starving to death.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ July 25 2006,6:28)]A lot of productive land around the starving world will be diverted to crops to produce the ethanol needed to keep fat American ***es in fat cars. And a lot of water will be diverted to that crop, so maybe people can humanely die of thirst instead of lingering around while starving to death.
    makes ya proud to be an american dunnit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah know Bruce your one cheery SOB to chat with.

so whats your solution?

BTW the original post was supposed to be a joke.............
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kills me is solar energy. Was just at the planetarium this weekend, and found out that the amount of energy that reaches the earth from the sun in one minutes is a little more than the US uses in a whole year.

Now, I understand that a) we cannot collect solar energy efficiently - maybe a 2% draw from the total energy. Ok, so that makes it a hour to power the county for a year.

Then, we have less that the whole earth (because we aren't the only country, after all). Say, we have 1% of the surface area to deal with.

that means a few days to power the country for a year.

Still better than we're doing now!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the problem with solar is with current technology it isnt terribly effective in some areas. however it sure would help at lowering the power needs of the country as a whole but it also takes money out of energy company pockets.at the moment i think it would cost me around $15,000 for a system that would give me enough electricity to run my house. however due to snow fall and severly overcast days in winter i would still need to be hooked up to the grid. after we get the house paid for i might just concider doing it the only problem is finding the materials since its solar energy companies arent terribly common in MT
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you live in the desert or california/florida it would be a great option and would fay for itsself. you could cover the back side of your roof so people couldn't see from the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand.

E85 Ethanol is just a band-aid to the real problem. E85 gets you around 20% less mpg along with less horsepower. Also farmers just don't make alot of money on E85. E85 is being pushed by politics, and it really sucks as a fuel.

Hybrids are also just a band-aid. It's been proven that a Toyota Prius will cost you more money over the course of 10 years than a regular non-hybrid Civic even after you take into account the 60mpg you get out of the Prius.

I think the only real replacement fuel that makes since is Hydrogen. We can use solar power to power the electrolysis of water and hydrogen can be safely stored in cars. I know Mazda has an RX8 available in Japan for lease that runs on both gas and hydrogen. You still get les horsepower but with more R&D I think it will be the best answer to the fuel problem.

In fact I read a story about a guy that figured out how to turn water into hydrogen with less electricity. he said that 4tbs of water could make enough hydrogen to power a car for something like 100 miles.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say I liked the joke, but the topic had veered away from humor long before I came along. The solution to energy problems is easier, in theory, than switching to any other energy source. We just need to use a lot less. Nothing could be simpler, in theory. Can that count as my answer?

This reminds me of a time a few years ago that I crunched energy consumption data for CT for 1970 and whatever would have been the most recent data (~2000). The results were probably lost in my old computer, but I remember that our usage of energy (electricity, natural gas, motor fuel) was up almost across the board. It was a period of massive de-industrialization here, so industrial electric consumption was down, but the increase in residential & commercial use more than compensated for it.

It was kind of stunning to see that the 1973 & 1978 oil price shocks had little lasting effect. Thirty years later, maybe people were driving 20,000 miles per year in a car getting 24 mpg instead of 10,000 in a car getting 12. By now, they're probably up to 25,000 miles per year in a car now back down to 12 mpg.

All the energy efficiency innovations were overwhelmed by more and/or larger miles, houses, refrigerators, hot tubs, TVs, etc. That's the problem with pushing efficiency for efficiency's sake. We've traded a 1970 family's inefficient 19" TV for a 2000 family having a 24" Energy Star TV in every room and a 36" TV in one. Several on at the same time, of course.

Back in WWI & WWII, Americans gave a d@mn about something other than their own personal comfort and sacrificed for the common good. It's kind of hard to imagine that happening now. But that's what it'll take.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast