What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brugmansia growers

Aaarrggghh! All my daturas are putting out at least their first blooms and some have been blooming for over a month now but my huge Brugmansia (bigger than me) is still not blooming and I'm getting anxious as summers half over or better for my area. It has a 2" diameter woody trunk, enormous leaves and several branches so it is definately blooming size but it's just standing there beging for water every 5 minutes (OK, every day). It gets the same 11 am til 3-4 pm sunlight my daturas get. It's not got any red in it so there should be no parentage from Brugmansia sanguinea who hates heat so should it be in shade and get no direct sun? I ask first cos moving him is gonna be a real chore since It's grew at least a couple feet since putting it into a new 7 gallon pot back in may/june. Anyone growing them have any ideas?

No clues here. Have you tried any other sources? You might find something over at Dave's Garden; there's lots of knowledgeable flower-types on there.
~Joe

Direct sun is good for Brugs as long as they get enough water. How often do you fertilize? These plants are fertilizer hogs. Mine bloom pretty much year round here in So. Cal. with flushes coming and going.

I have a small plant, about a foot tall, that just put out a yellow flower just as big. I have it is direct sun for most of the day in zone 5. I used a good amount of osmocote.

big trees, no flowers here.

Yeah, it gets 2 tsp per gallon of bloom fertilizer 10-30-30 with every watering and it just sits there chortling at me growing bigger and bigger but making no blooms (supposed to be huge yellow ones). I've never used this much fertilizer in one summer as this year with all the Daturas & Brug. I water every day or every other day if the previous day was overcast.

BTW I was watching one of the "Dragon ___" Sci-Fi original movie series on Sci-Fi channel last saturday afternoon and they had lots of big pink Brugmansias on the sets. I tuned in late and they never announced which show it was, but there was an evil sorcerer who raised a zombie dragon from it's tomb in the mountain, some girl with blonde hair and a crystal ball defeated it, if anyone saw it, it was in that one.
smile.gif

dragon dynesty?

god i'm a dork lol

No, that was the Asian Dragon movie. They replayed that one tonight-now who's the bigger geek!?
On saturday I was stuck in bed with a hangover induced fever so I watched these dragon flicks all day (I remember NOW why I don't drink anymore). First there was this all fantasy one (with the Brugmansias) then a medieval europe one ("Dragon Storm" the dragon eggs fell like meteors from space...), then the "Dragon Dynasty" one (Japanese mythology). I love that stuff. At least it wasn't as campy as the Xena & Hercules shows which started pretty cool but both ended up being unwatchable at their last seasons.

I know it seems like it needs repotting since it needs water daily but that is the way with Brugmansias even grown in ground they will need watering at noon & at night on very hot days which doesn't necessarily mean they need a new pot/more space according to the Datura & Brugmansia book, just more water. BTW it was already repotted in May or June from a 3 gallon pot I got it in to a 7 gallon container.

Back