Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brugmansia growers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaarrggghh! All my daturas are putting out at least their first blooms and some have been blooming for over a month now but my huge Brugmansia (bigger than me) is still not blooming and I'm getting anxious as summers half over or better for my area. It has a 2" diameter woody trunk, enormous leaves and several branches so it is definately blooming size but it's just standing there beging for water every 5 minutes (OK, every day). It gets the same 11 am til 3-4 pm sunlight my daturas get. It's not got any red in it so there should be no parentage from Brugmansia sanguinea who hates heat so should it be in shade and get no direct sun? I ask first cos moving him is gonna be a real chore since It's grew at least a couple feet since putting it into a new 7 gallon pot back in may/june. Anyone growing them have any ideas?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No clues here. Have you tried any other sources? You might find something over at Dave's Garden; there's lots of knowledgeable flower-types on there.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Direct sun is good for Brugs as long as they get enough water. How often do you fertilize? These plants are fertilizer hogs. Mine bloom pretty much year round here in So. Cal. with flushes coming and going.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a small plant, about a foot tall, that just put out a yellow flower just as big. I have it is direct sun for most of the day in zone 5. I used a good amount of osmocote.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    big trees, no flowers here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it gets 2 tsp per gallon of bloom fertilizer 10-30-30 with every watering and it just sits there chortling at me growing bigger and bigger but making no blooms (supposed to be huge yellow ones). I've never used this much fertilizer in one summer as this year with all the Daturas & Brug. I water every day or every other day if the previous day was overcast.

BTW I was watching one of the "Dragon ___" Sci-Fi original movie series on Sci-Fi channel last saturday afternoon and they had lots of big pink Brugmansias on the sets. I tuned in late and they never announced which show it was, but there was an evil sorcerer who raised a zombie dragon from it's tomb in the mountain, some girl with blonde hair and a crystal ball defeated it, if anyone saw it, it was in that one.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dragon dynesty?

god i'm a dork lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, that was the Asian Dragon movie. They replayed that one tonight-now who's the bigger geek!?
    On saturday I was stuck in bed with a hangover induced fever so I watched these dragon flicks all day (I remember NOW why I don't drink anymore). First there was this all fantasy one (with the Brugmansias) then a medieval europe one ("Dragon Storm" the dragon eggs fell like meteors from space...), then the "Dragon Dynasty" one (Japanese mythology). I love that stuff. At least it wasn't as campy as the Xena & Hercules shows which started pretty cool but both ended up being unwatchable at their last seasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast