What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check it out!

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date

schloaty

Staff member
Anything like this around here! What do ya know!

lunda3.jpg

lunda2.jpg

luna5.jpg

luna4.jpg

luna1.jpg

i've only seen those 2 or three times in my life. i wonder why they are so rare?

Wow, that's spectacular. I've never seen one of those moths with the fluffy antennae in person before, but I think they're super cute. Although... I did see a strange one flying around the floodlight in my front yard the other night, and it was at least as big as my hand. Lucky you!
~Joe

Very cool that you vere able to get pictures of it! How did you come across it?

Moths generally creep me out but the Gypsy moth is pretty cool. I've seen bigger ones too!

Luna moth very rare due to suceptability to pesticides that are sprayed for mosquito control.

I adore luna moths.

I was hanging around on a porch with someone one night when one of them came fluttering around the porch light. He had no idea there were moths that got that big so until he figured out what it was he almost broke out running.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ July 28 2006,9:37)]Luna moth very rare due to suceptability to pesticides that are sprayed for mosquito control.
While that may be true, I saw a study that showed a correlation with an introduced parasitic wasp (or fly??) and the overall decline in the Saturnid moths... The numbers of most of the large Saturnids (Cecropia, Polyphemus, Luna, etc) have declined dramatically...
346.gif

This moth must be in the 2nd brood. The 1st group of these guys normally emerge in late spring / early summer...

WOW! First time I ever saw one of those was when I was a little kid. It scared me to death
smile_n_32.gif
. It was a monster sized bug and I'd never a moth that size before and wasn't sure what it was lol. Got over my fear quick enough when I found out it was a moth and decided it was "really neat". I haven't seen one in a long time though.

ooopsss. i'm one of those that love parasitic wasps.. i buy them for fly control... but didn't think it hurt anything but the flies...and mosquitos...

that moth is amazing...

ooops, I said Gypsy.....never was good at bug taxonomy.

Luna Moths, Polyphemus Moths, Cecropia Moths and the Atlas Moths are my all time favorites...just because of the size! i found a Polyphemus caterpillar once... HUGE things! i had it in a terrarium outside with a mesh cover... and after a LONG time(cant recall the exact time) it opened up from its cocoon. the moth was huge!
Alex

Holy crap! Funny you posted that, I saw one myself here in N.Y. this past week!!! No kidding! If I had a camera I would have took a few photos. Not sure if it was alive or not but it's the same exact creature!

Tom

Really nice-looking critter! Thanks for sharing.

Now I'm tempted to learn how to breed them. I don't know if it's practical, possible, or where I'd even get them to start with, but if they're becoming rare it seems like a worthwhile experiment.

there is a big 7 inch brown one below my window laying eggs right now. cool.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 29 2006,7:56)]there is a big 7 inch brown one below my window laying eggs right now. cool.
ICK!!!!!

LOL!

Tom

no it's REALLY beautiful. it's velvety brown with eyespots and stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 29 2006,8:50)]no it's REALLY beautiful. it's velvety brown with eyespots and stuff.
No, I mean the laying eggs part!

Tom

i think it's sexy....

Back