What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cheap but decent greenhouse

im moving into a new house soon and im looking to buy a greenhouse. i know pft has some very nice ones, but alas i can't afford one. im looking to stay under $700, so if anyone knows of anywhere, please let me know. thanks guys.

home depot has something like im looking for, it's the Master Gro 6ft x 8ft Apex Greenhouse. if anyone has this, let me know what you think about it.

One things you have to worry about is how to heat and cool it. Thats is where the money comes in. I don't know how other people do it, but I built my GH. One thing you definately want os an automated system. I had my grandfatehr build my thermastate systems. I will upgrade to GH ones soon, but they work fine now. You will really want a wet wall if you plan on keeping plants in the GH over the summer. Then you have to worry about heating it in the winter. I grow orchids so I need to keep my temps around 55-60. I accomplish this with two milk house heaters on a thermastat system. They tend to do ok, but after I rebuild I may need another one or two. That means running powerlines out to the GH to accomidate. Green houses are not cheap, and if you go that rought and buy cheap your libal to be disapointed in the furture. When I built my GH I used cheap plastic to cover it. I have to recover it every autum because it falls about over the summer. When I rebuild at the end of this summer, I will be buying the proper green house plastic to cover so it will last at least 4 years. There is alot to think about. Don;t go jumping into it without doing your homework.

ive been doing my homework. i have one now that i built and have been dealing with heating/cooling it. i too am using the plastic covering, but hate it and want hard walls.

Try getting a farmtek catalog... I find all sorts of things in there that are meant for one thing and you can use as another. and MUCH cheaper than going to a greenhouse supplier. They do have commercial grade greenhouse supplies..But i bet looking in the livestock section you might find things to make one cheaper.. I think they also have the website but the catalogs are more comprehensive. It gives me ideas, too.

http://www.farmtek.com/webapp....isDoc=N

------------
Fixed you a link.
smile.gif

thanks for the link jojo. ive seen that one and a few others that are very similiair. does anyone have this greenhouse or one like it?

I didn't know the words 'cheap' and 'greenhouse' could be used in the sane sentence! LOL Good luck on the greenhouse!

Jerry

Back