What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone been poisoned by Levaquin

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Remember 50% of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class.

laugh.gif

...and 25% of the top 50% made the appropriate guess on the final "Yes or No" questions...

I am not looking for a dogpile here, but I am just going to say it, since the doc.'s don't sound like they are really doing anything here (and frankly I don't think that conventional Western medical practice includes any effective ways to deal with viruses) Echinacea is a very powerful medicinal herb that my herbalist has given me for numerous purposes. The fundamental effect of it is extreme system boosting, to enable you to weather the storm of viral or bacterial attack (as well as very powerful antibacterial properties if that's what you are fighting). It is a pretty misunderstood herb, I think, as a lot of the products sold with it are made of stem and leaf and are probably made of old material. It is also a very common myth that Echinacea is only useful as a preemptive treatment for colds - that's just not true and I have found so myself numerous times. What you want if you are willing to try it as a possibility, is *fresh* high strength root extract. IMHO it is best to buy from an herbalist who uses material from responsible wildcrafters who try to reduce the impact of herbalism on populations of Echinacea purpurea. So I am not an herbalist and am not giving medical advice, BUT think about it because trying heavy daily doses of the very odd tasting Echinacea extract can't possibly do any more damage to your mom and I think it could really help (there's very little in the way of drug interactions between pharmaceuticals and Echinacea, that I am aware of). Or at least contact a local herbalist and talk to them about it! Anyways, if you do not "believe" in herbal "hocus pocus" that is not my problem and I don't really want to hear about it.

people should believe, most modern drugs are synthesized from alkaloids found in plants!

aspirin is found in willow bark.

Boy oh Boy. Sounds like an idiot Doc to me. Their PDA with drug info is only useful if consulted BEFORE prescribing a drug. I know many Docs who use a PDA with a version of the PDR (Physicians desk reference) loaded on it. I have used the PDR at work on occasion for make sure the drugs given should be used for a certain condition. To consult her PDR after the fact is STUPID. To haphazardly prescribe the heavy guns is also a stupid move.

Now I have to defend Doc for handing out antibiotics to a patient with the common cold or something viral. I have spoken with a Doc about that, and he said that many of his patients come in and ask for antibiotics for ailments such as that. He said he used to refuse. Then he told me he doesn't fight it anymore because the patients will just doctor shop till they get it, and then will try to sue him for not giving them the drug when another doctor will. There is a lot of juggling there too. The docs have to keep their patients. Thats how they make a living too.

Now I am by no means defending this docs decision. It to me definitely sounds like she doesn't know her butt from a hole in the ground! Franky I have only seen ONE possibly Two female docs worth a crap, in my 7 year career as a surgical tech. One of those I only see on occasion, and I have heard stories about her. The other is new, and I have only worked with her on 3 cases so far. Dr. Shaver is the newest neurosurgeon at my hospital, and so far she has been very nice and seems to know what she is doing. She is still new so the verdict is still subject to change. All the others female docs I have worked with I wouldn;t trust as far as I could throw them. I need to add this is not a sexist remark by no means. It is just fact. Although I have seen numerous male docs I wouldn't go to either. The proportion of female docs that are good is significantly lower than the number of male docs that are good. That is my observation. I kid you now we have a female anesthesiologist that will give a drug to raise BP when the BO gets to high then will give another drug to lower the BP without decreasing the one she gave to raise it. Since these drugs are given on drips it is easy enough to just decrease the dosage, but no she give another drug to lower. So by the time she is done with a heart case the patient is on like 6 or 7 drips when a lot of them are counteracting each other!!!! I'm no doctor, and don;t really pay attention to what drugs are given at the head of the bed, but those are some of the things said by some of her fellow sleep docs.

So the biggest lesson we should get from this entire thing is not to steer clear of this drug, because there are proper times to administer this drug, and this time was not the case. The lesson we need to get from this is, does out doctor know what in the heck he/she is doing, does she keep up on the latest reports in his/her field, and does he/she really care about patients or is he/she interested in quantity instead of quality.

I have to say also that the normal drug given as a preinsision antibiotic is normally ancef. The only time I have seen the other class of drugs given was when the patient was allergic to the ancef class. I have never heard of the one in this post given, but I have heard of cypro given to allergic patients.

Good luck with your mother Swords! I hope she recovers and that her ignorant Doc hasn't done any permanent damage.

lol, my mom asked our family dr. for a script for amoxicillin in case i might get a URI, and he gave it to her lmao. it's in our freezer.

lmao, and amoxicillin is the only AB they every give me lmao. talk about irresponsable.

Sorry to hear about your mom ;<

Some food for thought:
When drugs are tested for FDA approval they may have a population SAMPLE size of a few thousand. They catch most side effects but the reality is that if a side affect is much less common than 1 in a few thousand it may not be caught by testing and only show up when the drug is prescribed to millions. That aside.. ALL medication has side effects and none should be taken lightly. That includes over the counter meds as well!!! Generally speaking though.. they do more good than harm and that there is the tradeoff.

With respect to a persistent cough such as described. Risk of pneumonia is very great and very life threatening. Viral caused infections should clear up fairly quickly on their own but secondary infection from bacteria is not that uncommon. Catching pneumonia before a big blotch is evident on an xray is important. Once it is in that stage an elderly person may not recover even with the proper meds! A broad spectrum antibiotic is usually given for a variety of reasons. Including what I mentioned before but also because the risk of getting sued for not doing enough is extreamly high! Imagine the different conversation we would be having here if the scenario went something like this??

My mom had a persistant cough from a cold/flu that she never got over. We talked her into going to see the doc who then told her to go home because it was viral and the xray didn't show anything majorly significant. A week later she began weezing so we took her back for medication but a few days later she passed away. Now why didn't the doctor give her something the first time we took her in just in case?
confused.gif
I am gonna sue them all for not preventing the onset of pneumonia!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]why are they approved? thats easy. Docs used to hand out antibiotics like candy, even though they knew they did nothing for the cold or flu but they made the patient feel better because they were doing something about being sick

You know, I hear this all the time, and I've seen it myself.

But, why don't doctors come up with a perscription that sounds official, and pharmasists will know mean "give them the placebo pills?"

That would solve the problem. The screaming (stupid) patients would get something to make them happy (and never know the difference), doctors would get the stupid patients to SHUT UP, and it would also drastically reduce the drug resistant bugs out there.....

Just my two cents.

Thanks for everyones concern, my mom seems to be pulling out of the mental disorientation and is able to walk again easily. It was real nice of her doctor to argue with me almost all day on tuesday about giving me a note for my boss's boss saying what I'd been doing for the last week or so. No way am I taking her back to that clinic.

Yes, I know there's hypochondriacs out who are constantly running to the hospital complaining that their hair hurts and all this. But with me and my mom, we've gotta be at deaths door before we relent and go to the doctors, not that we don't have healthcare (we do) we just don't like it! It's probably since we were both sick as kids and still have those memories of being scared and alone in the hopsital. It took me several days of urging to get her to go in there and then that happens I felt so terrible, I felt responsible for those side effects and that darn doctor didn't take any responsibility.

Back