Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: educate me on mp3 players

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get one that plays mp3 or WMA files, i believe WMA are like half the size of mp3.

i love Ipod but i dont think it plays wma's. you can also watch movies on it.

i use my psp, it's got internet, music, movies, pics, and games all in one machine i think a 1 gb mem. card is 100 bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an iPod mini I got at christmas off amazon, where they can be obtained fro cheap. It's great, though if you plan to use it in the car you may want a car kit for it, as the click wheel makes song selection while driving difficult. Otherwise it's awesome.
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies everyone! keep them coming though, as i'm just starting my research into these things...

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]you could just get a portable CD player that plays MP3's.
    thought about this route, but i like the possibility of having 200 cd's worth on music in one single unit.

Quote[/b] ]the click wheel makes song selection while driving difficult.
    i was hoping that i could just say "shuffle" and it would play stuff. am i wrong to think this?

the creative zen units were one of the 3 i was looking at, with i pod being one also. i forget the name of the third one right now.

Quote[/b] ]I'm not happy with how DRMed they are,
    i'm not familier with the term "drm". please explain...

also, i'll be converting my cd collection to the required format, not downloading, so the quality of the "mp3" (or whatever format i need) will be up to me...

keep it comming!

tech...
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tech,
    Yes, you can just hit shuffle and it will do it's thing. But you have to hit it on the ipod itself, not your radio, that's what he meant.

DRM is "Digital Rights Management" stuff which basically only matters if you're buying songs from iTunes. They load up their files with all manner of copy-protection junk that makes it a pain to transfer songs and such. However, there are always workarounds to the issues.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPOD and Nanos. Stay away from the shuffles. As for the zens and the others, Yes they are capable but for ease of use Nada. I have beta tested a few and found that they are okay but still are far behind the Ipods and nanos. Caps as for copy rights yes there are work arounds. Copy rights do protect the companys as they have a right to protect the rights .
    Stealing is stealing.

I believe in Pay for your songs and videos. IF grossly over priced, well that is for another debate!

Just my thoughts
    Jim

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choosing music isn't much of a problem, not any more than selecting a CD out of a case. Either way, it's something that you shouldn't really be doing while driving. If you're listening to CDs, then you get one of those visor-mounting cases so you can set a few discs aside and pick them without looking at them. Likewise, if you have an iPod, you pick a playlist or album or whatever and let it go. There are always the forward and back buttons on the iPod; you don't have to look at the screen to skip ahead. I know plenty of people who listen to their iPods while driving, and they don't seem to have any problem fiddling with what's playing. In any case, I don't think there's a very dramatic difference between reaching for an iPod in a cupholder than the stereo on the dash.
    Capslock is right about the DRMs on music from the Apple store, but the Apple Music Store sucks anyways. You're paying record-store prices for just data - you don't even have freedom to reproduce it the way you can with hard copies. And what happens if your hard drive goes kaput? You're better off to stick with real albums.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah, the lithium battery dies every so often, maybe every 1 or 2 years? so you gotta send it to apple and get a new one installed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When researching mp3 players the various techies I spoke to said that apple's soundcard wasn't as good as creative (for years they have been supplying them for your PC), JNC and iRiver. I went for the creative and a year later another for the wife, its now nearly a year for hers. Both have given excellent service(none of the battery problems of early ipods) and if I decide to upgrade it will be Creative Labs again. Sound is the specialty of this company so it stands to reason. I think they were also one of the earliest creators of mp3 players(correct me if I'm wrong). Just remember iPods are popular because of massive marketing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast