Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: educate me on mp3 players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, yea, even thought i have a sirius radio in the truck, i'm thinking that i'd like to have my entire cd collection with me, so i can listen to anything from there whenever i want to. this has led me to thinking about buying an ipod or similar mp3 player, but i don't really know anything about them.

i suppose i can live with a minimal loss of sound quality when compared to the original cd's, but any loss much more than that will make me throw it out the window! i think this puts me into the 15-30 gb range.

i would be using a cassette deck adaptor to play it throught the stereo in the semi.

which ones do you guys like? what ones should i avoid? what formats should i be looking for? what else should i know about buying one? anyone?

let's set a $300.00 price limit.

killing time in georgia,
    tech...

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]i suppose i can live with a minimal loss of sound quality when compared to the original cd's, but any loss much more than that will make me throw it out the window!
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]i would be using a cassette deck adaptor to play it throught the stereo in the semi.
    The only real potential problem is right there. It depends on whether you want to use a wireless one adapter or an adapter that physically will plug from your MP3 player in to the tape deck. Wireless ones are neet and convenient, but are your biggest potential for loss of quality. I'd advise against wireless because you're going to be driving through a large number of areas, some will have reception on certain stations, others wont, and you don't want to have to change the radio station that the trasmitter transmits to very many times while driving. So if you can find one that'll physically plug the cassette player to the MP3 player, I think you should be better off.

The quality of sound that comes out of the MP3 player shouldn't vary from player as they're on playing the same files. I don't know of any players that put files under additional compression or anything. So if you want your MP3s to sound good- use good quality MP3s. In my experience you can keep good quality without sacrificing too much space.

As for an actual player.... Well, I can't say an awful lot. I'm still using my 32mb one. >_> I can comment on at least one Dell player I've seen: The buttons can majory mess up and make things like changing volume be a big pain the rear. HOWEVER, IME they'll send you a new one with very little complaint on your part. And you don't seem to hear a peep from them when you don't ever send in your broken one after getting the one that works.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well $300 buget....get an iPod! plus they hold a bunch of songs! thers the iPod(~25,000 songs), iPod mini(~10,000 songs i think), iPod nano(500(2gb) and 1000(4gb) songs), and the iPod shuffle (120 songs(512 mb) and 240(1gb) songs. iPod costs the most, then mini, then nano, then shuffle. iPod video is another one but i dont know much about it. the regualr iPod that has 30gb of space is usually aroud $300 while the 60gb is around $500.
    anything else? just PM me
    Alex

PS. i have an ipod nano and it is awesome!
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The iPod mini has been discontinued for a while now - that's the model that the nano replaced. And there is no 'video iPod;' the standard model plays videos. It's not like you have to throw down for something extra. Once they get the power consumption down, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a video-playing nano.
    I'd get an iPod if I were you, but I'm kind of an Apple-phile so my opinion is not impartial. All I know is that I've had an iPod since the first ones were released, and I've yet to come across another player with features I wanted that my iPod didn't have (besides replaceable batteries.)
    As for connecting it in your truck, cabled is the way to go, but see if you can't get a kit to wire an input into your stereo. You can get cables with a headphone (1/8") jack to stereo leads, allowing you to plug your iPod into a spare audio input - usually used for an in-trunk CD changer or the like. Those cassette adapters are serviceable, but I've found that the wires tend to come loose or break over time and there can be some loss of audio quality, depending on how well you keep your cassette deck cleaned. So far as loss goes, that's the only place you're going to get it; digital audio players themselves reproduce music flawlessly. I don't know what kind of bit rates that other players support, but I know that my iPod can play music at quality better than the average CD (although I doubt one would hear a significant difference.)
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the above - Ipods are great. There are players out there that match them for capacity and price, and probably beat them. But if Apple has figured anything out over the decades, it's how to build quality hardware. I'm not happy with how DRMed they are, though. But that's par for the course these days.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I have an Iriver and it works great for me. It can do music, video, recording, and it has a radio. The only drawback on mine is that it is only 2 gigs. I'm not sure if they come in bigger sizes or not but it holds my cd collection just fine with lots of room to spare.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you can get one the the Creative Zen products.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're playing thru your cassette player you could just get a portable CD player that plays MP3's. That will give you a solid 6 to 8 hours of music on a cd. They cost considerably less than an iPod and sound good at 192 kbps compression.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast