Thread: Wiring question

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Harsh...

PAK, you need an "outlet" to vent that angst.
    ROFL!

Well...I'll agree with you that I need an outlet... ...BUT... I can't afford to pay an electrician to come and put one in. lol

Actually...I was just repeating the same thing Schloaty said to that poor, sweet woman who forgot to flip her breaker switch. Schloaty was encouraging Ozzy to ra pe her with high fees for just a simple switch flick.

I'm just trying to stick up for her. I think she's probably a very nice person who had the heat get to her brain and suffered a temporary lapse in common sense.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozzy, be a nice guy and drive up and install an outlet for PAK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I could use numerous outlets...upstairs bathroom and hallway, breakfast room, etc. I have some loose outlets too. Are they dangerous if they are about to fall out of the wall? I could definitely keep an electrician busy. But, I can't afford their HIGH FEES.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]After all...people that stupid SHOULD pay for being so stupid.
    And I stand by this statement. To admit to lack of knowledge is the mark of wisdom, not stupidity.

This woman of whom you speak was stupid because she did not ask around, but instead jumped straight to hiring an electrician.

I WILL pay an electrician for his or her knowledge if this is something that I am wise enough to realize too risky for me - however I will also exercise enough wisdom to ask around BEFORE I spend my hard earned cash.

Ozzy, I'll take a pic of the electrical hookups I have - haven't actually purchased any outlets yet, so I can't show you that end, but I can show you what's currently (NPI) in place.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]This amateur will add that you should never assume anything when working with wiring in older houses.
    True so true.

Quote[/b] ]And definitely don't take my (former) shortcut of thinking it's safe to work downstream of a wall switch without tripping the circuit breaker. I got shocked that way once and figure someone must have switched the neutral instead of the hot wire
    I did the same thing once when I was 15. I assumed that if the switch is off then there is no way that there can be electricity in the light. I was SO WRONG. I got shocked, and I couldn't understand why.
    Your theory of the neutral being switched is possible. As a matter of fact that's the way it was done decades ago. More likely though the light was what electricians call "back fed" The hot wire is taken to the light and a 12/2 romex is taken from the light to the switch. One wire is the hot and the other is the switch leg. When you do this, you have to make the white wire hot. So if you assume that the white is always a neutral, you can be dead wrong.

Quote[/b] ]Actually...I was just repeating the same thing Schloaty said to that poor, sweet woman
    Sweet woman, you obviously have never met her. I wish I could state here how I felt about that woman but the filter would change my words all around. I can't state how I feel about her here. All I can do is quote Ricky Bobby. "Shake and Bake"

Quote[/b] ]Ozzy, be a nice guy and drive up and install an outlet for PAK.
    Ok I'll do my part. I'll work for almost free, if we take up a collection for gas money and materials I'll need to do the job. I will even fix her AC problems.

Quote[/b] ]I could definitely keep an electrician busy. But, I can't afford their HIGH FEES.
    Don't lie you have enough to pay the bill.

Dave, show me the pics of both the green house hookup and the hookup from the house before you buy the connectors. I may be able to save you some time. You don't want to buy the wrong ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Ok I'll do my part. I'll work for almost free, if we take up a collection for gas money and materials I'll need to do the job.
    Almost for free? There ya go...charging yet another poor, sweet woman an exhorbitant fee.

I say a ham biscuit oughta be a-plenty. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12