What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Habanero pepper

• Thread starter glider14
  • Start date

glider14

Always a newbie
wow...the legends are true....habanero peppers are hot! i had a single pepper from about 6 plants(which stunk) and tried a piece after dinner today...well it was hot. i still got the taste in my mouth! anyone else tried it?
Alex

I've got this hot sauce (After Death Sauce) that has red and yellow habenero peppers in it. It's pretty hot stuff- but sooo good. I'm working on building up my tolerance.
smile_m_32.gif

Whenever handling very hot peppers, you probably want to wear gloves to avoid getting pepper juice: under your fingernails, in cuts, in your eyes, etc.

yep i did that. i ahd this hotsauce called Endorphine Rush. OMG was it hot! it had "deep red", green and yellow habaneros, ones called mini bombers(name explains) and jalapenos. wow i about had a heart attack! i hadd the smallest bit too! this place i got it was called Tijuana Flats. they have hot sauce there that you can only buy if your 18+. it doesnt have alcohol in it...its just so outrageously hot!
Alex

Love 'em.. a friend of mine has supposedly sourced out some kind of pepper that is (no joke) THREE TIMES hotter (900,00 on the Scoville rating system) so here's hoping- I only have 3 bushes of habaneros this year and I'm hoping they kick in sometime soon since they have been pretty non-fruitful so far
mad.gif

Hmm, sounds like both of you guys have got some growing, eh? How easy are they to grow? I might give 'em a shot if environmental conditions here permit.

I used to grow them in pots and overwintered them indoors.  With that headstart, they ripened more peppers before the sun angle and temperatures got too low.  But I began using my sunny indoor spaces for other things, such as Neps, and don't grow Habaneros anymore.  I'd probably still start a couple plants every spring except that I don't have nearly enough room to start the tomatoes and other chiles I like more.

Yum! Habaneros. Love the sting and the fruity notes.
smile.gif

I've grown them too. I think they are very pretty. I don't have my veggie garden any more. I should have tried them in pots.

I love hot stuff. Its an addiction, you know.

I have them growing oustide in my yard. They grow pretty slow compared to other peppers. The plant I have is twice as hot as a regular Habanero. It's funny because I wouldnt dare eat those things so they just kinda sit on the plants. My cats avoid even touching the plant.

The only time I ever got someone to eat it was when I (very carefully) grated a full peper and put it in my girlfriends omelet on April fools. She HATED me for the rest of the month. Its funny because she got half way done with the omelet before the heat really started. I even snapped a few pics of her running around the house screaming.
smile_n_32.gif

Copcar that was EVIL!!! I have tried hot sauces made from it, but never had the peper. I used to work for a chicken place call Zaxby's. Well, we were a franchise store and held off getting the insane wing sauce for a while when the corperate store had it for a while. Well, if anyone has heard of daves insanity souce thats what we used for the insane wings. Although Zaxby's dilutes it with the nuclear sauce because its just too dang hot straight. When we first got it the emplyees were allowed to try it before we started selling it. And being a 17 y/o hot shot I decided to eat a chicken finger dipped in the sauce. We were not diluting the sauce because we didn't know that we were suposed to be. I was running around the store eating bread, dumping sugar on my tongue, and trying everything to cool the FIRE! Daves insanity sauce is straight FIRE and can BURN YOU!! I have seen it in a catalauge of hot sauces before, and it was one of the ones in the catalauge that required you to fill out the waver in the back before they would sell it to you. These sauces are rediculously hot. More power to you guys that like hot stuff, but I have grown out of it. I used to drink tobasco growing up, but now I like a just a little zing. Nothing to the level of insanity sauce or a habanero pepper though.

I have habanero sauce every morning in my tuna sandwich. And this is stuff my brother brought back from the land of Mexico itself.
If one ever finds him/herself in dire need of quick relief after setting off napalm in their mouthes, I'd recommend brushing your teeth and (most importantly) tongue with toothpaste, rinse with plenty of water, then eat cold, mild yoghurt.
Fun stuff, nonetheless!

Cheers
Amori

My habanero story is that I sometimes took habaneros to work to give away.  One time someone cut one into strips and was getting people to try them.  He went to a new guy who was watching and said he had to try it to show he's part of the team.  So new guy took a whole pepper and bit off half.  He probably did two chews before his eyes popped and he did the desperate dash for relief.

So I went home at the end of the day and told my wife about it. She decided to show off by eating an entire habanero.  Of course the same thing happened to her.  She was pretty miserable the rest of the night.  But the next day she was really sick and I couldn't understand why.   She couldn't understand either and said she had even taken extra antacids to stop the burning.  I asked how many and, if I remember correctly, the number was 18.  She had taken a couple, still felt the heat and kept taking more through the evening.  She definitely shouldn't be allowed anywhere near medication and that antacid overdose kept her sick for a couple days.

The "cure", as much as there is one, for burnt tongue, mouth and innards is not sugar or ice water...its any kind of dairy product.  Milk, sour cream, etc.  That does the best job of taking the heat out of a hot pepper sting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Capsaicin is a nonpolar molecule, and is therefore hydrophobic. Drinking water to reduce the burning caused by the molecule is ineffective, as the nonpolar capsaicin is unable to dissolve in the polar water molecules, and is instead spread across the surface of the mouth. This works by the same principle that causes oil and water to separate.

Instead, consuming foods high in fats and oils, such as milk or bread and butter, will help alleviate the burning. The lipophilic capsaicin is able to mix freely with the fats in the food and is removed from the surface of the mouth. Alcoholic beverages also dissolve capsaicin due to the solvent characteristics of ethanol. Of course, over time the capsaicin will dissipate on its own accord.

Ahhhhhhh...feel the burn.  
smile.gif
  I like habaneros, but I'm no fool.  I have my limits with hot stuff and I have enough sense to eat just what tastes and feels good without having to overdo it to prove something.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have habanero sauce every morning in my tuna sandwich.
 Ummm, Ummm good.

This is a pic of the Habenero's I used to grow before I moved.  Now our local Publix grocery carries them fresh and they are a staple in my diet, fresh sliced on sandwiches, made into salsa for chip dip and dried for chili, soups and roasts.  You will not believe what they can do for corned beef and cabbage.

Habenero.sized.jpg

I've always thought habaneros made great study for photographs. The color is awsome and then you have all the ripples and curves. Their beauty belies what lays beneath the surface....muuuuhahahahahahahha!

OK...after all this, definitely Mexican food for lunch today. I feel the need for heat.

Love 'em!

I tried growing a whole bunch this year (did very well last year - the Hot Sauce Ozzy won in the auction is one of the products), but most of my plants didn't do too well.

HOWEVER, I do have one Tazmanian habenero plant that is FINALLY flowering. I have it in a large pot so I can bring it in when it gets too cold - and I'll give it supplemental lighting in the winter to keep it fruiting.

Maybe I can dig up a few more and pot 'em and do the same thing. They can be painfully slow.

You can get seeds for all different varieties from Pepperjoe.com. This guy's selection rocks!

My chocolate habs...

Hab_choc_web.jpg

Gorgeous peppers man, nice job on them
biggrin.gif

I think I live roughly west of Schloaty and my darn habaneros are looking pretty sad this year too, I will have to winter them indoors- what the other posters said is true, they produce like MAD the second year

Back