0 Thread(s)
    we may get 3 more planets. awesome.

msn article

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that. That's really interesting. I still think they need to rename Uranus.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is taxonomy of the stars.'

Same way we've had folks down here going "No, it's NOT a crysanthumum, it's 14 different sub-genera with impossible names!" we've got folks looking upwards and doing the same.

Lumpers want us to think there's 3 planets. Splitters want us to think there's 27. And people wanna just make Uranus jokes.

Been following this topic for quiiiiite a while now; it all starts with Pluto "If Pluto is a planet then MY planet should be a planet" or "Pluto isn't a planet, so your rock shouldn't be, either."
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand what's the big deal with calling some of these things planets. Would 53 planets in our system be such a terrible problem? It's not like just because they're planets you have to worry about every single one of them. And I don't like the way that the article above makes it out as, "Anything that's round is a planet! This meteor is a planet! This cantaloupe is a planet! This balled-up pair of socks is a planet!" I think that a body's own gravity being sufficient to give it a roughly spherical shape is an excellent criterion; simple, sensible, and testable. I also don't understand the objection to distinguishing between 'double planets' and satellites. Certainly, a satellite is not a planet, and a body is not a satellite if it's not revolving around a planet, so shouldn't it be that bodies orbiting an empty point revolving around a star are planets? Unless you want to accept an empty point as a planet, I don't see any other logical choice.
    The one thing I really hate about science is these symantic debates. I'm beginning to prefer the arts, where the distribution of belligerence and criticism is more uniform.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would prefer 2003 UB313 over Xena.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i say , and i stand by this, we name is planey zoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately, most scientists don't get into the name game. Most geologists, to speak of the science I know best, study how things happen and don't get obsessed about what the end result is called. I've often heard Pluto is a planetoid or whatever the word is, but don't care one way or the other.

As for semantics, I consider all Sarracenias to be one species since their ranges overlap and they so readily interbreed. But I definitely lean towards the lumper, not the splitter end of the spectrum.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, i don't think most people agree with there being one species of sarracenia.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast