What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compressors

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Can anybody tell me if a air compressor can be used for different tasks? Or do you have to have different compressors for different uses? Such as: power washer, sand blasting, air brushing? I'm particularly interested in a sandblaster but thought if one compressor would do a bunch of different things...that would be really cool.
smile.gif

Air compressors can be used for many things.. but not the 3 you talked about. LOL A power washer pressurizes water. and a air brushing pump is pretty low pressure. You can use a normal air compressor for sand blasting (with the right attatchement), and all kinda of other tools.....

What is "normal"? And how much does a small one cost?  I don't really have anything very heavy duty in mind.

OK...I guess powerwashing my deck and house is out. lol I thought you had to have air to push the water out of a power washer.

You can use an air compressor for air-brushing no problem, you just have to set the regulator at a lower pressure.

The difference in size relates mainly to volume, not power. Most compressors can achieve pressures of 100 PSI no problem which is more than enough to run most pneumatic tools out there. Problem is if the tool requires a constant supply of pressure you may not be able to keep up with the demand. Air brushes require a relatively low pressure, Sand blasters would require a large volume of high pressure. Things like nail guns and staplers require high pressure, but very little volume. A small compressor would run a nail gun effectively, probably an air brush as well, but you may find that you are repressurizing the tank often, and would not run the sand blaster at all.

My advice would be to buy the biggest one you can. When it comes to compressed air, its always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Another thing to consider with small compressors is that every time you pressurize the tank, you create condensation. With a small tank that condensation is more likely to be forced through the air hose and into your tools. In the case of air-brushes and other painting tools, this could mean getting water into your finished product.

Steve

While most compressors do have the ability to give the pressure you'd like... it pends the material being "sprayed" and equipment being used... some of the airbrushing tools take only 5-10 psi and i'm not sure a typical comprssor can go that low. Some airbrushing kits can run at about 40PSI. You'd just need to look stuff over instead of just grabbing one and expecting it to work.

If for whatever reason your tank cannot be regulated that low, there are in-line regulators that you can purchase (I use one on my paint sprayer) that should be able to dial in any pressure you need.

Back