Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talking to your kids about strangers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 17 2006,3:09)]chill out buddy. you don't think adult women can kidnap, ra pe, and kill children just like adult men? that's not sacrificing safety, i'd say it's being even safer. i was always told not to talk to adults i didn't know, either male or female. are you saying my parents were sacrificing safety to be pc?

i hope i dont have kids, i'm gay and 16 so that would really raise some serious questions if i did. if i did have kids, male or female, i'd tell them to find a cop/security guard. if they are in a building i'd tell them to find whoever is in charge. i would teach them not to talk to adults they didn't know, either male OR female.
    Sure, women are capable of being predators, too, but it is far less likely. And I agree, small children should not be in the habit of talking to strangers, male or female. However, if they need help, and need to seek out a stranger to help them, a woman is a safer bet.

A woman, particularly a mother, is not only less likely to be a predator, but more likely to help the child.

Young children often can't tell one uniform from another. They're as likely to ask a janitor for help as they are an actual police officer.

And I'm sorry for jumping down your throat... PCism was pushed on us rather overzealously when I was in college, so i tend to regard it as an evil.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (back2eight @ Aug. 17 2006,10:34)]I have tried to talk with my children, ages 8 and 5, about these situations as well. It is a very scary thought that someone could do things to hurt them. I haven't been as focused on it as you seem to be, and I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. I certainly want them to know what to do if they are being approached or touched in the wrong way, but I don't want to scare them and rob their innocence at such young ages. I volunteer with a local sexual assault crisis line and support center. I am trained to answer the phone and to cousel people who have gone through things like this. What most people don't realize is that it is very seldom someone that they don't know. It is usually dad, uncle, neighbor, mom's boyfriend, etc. People that they have been taught are "safe" and that they trust. Plus, we tell our kids not to argue with adults and to do what they are told. So it is certainly a tough job teaching them when it is the right thing to NOT do what that adult that they have been taught they can trust wants them to do.
    I've covered this, too. I tell them that if anybody makes them uncomfortable, even somebody they know and trust, "Say no, then go". Tell the person to stop, and then leave if it does not. Applicable to kids their own age, and to adults.

I've also told them how people who do bad things to kids often make threats about how they'll hurt/kill people the kids care about if they tell anybody, and how they should tell me or their mother anyway, since as soon as we're told, we'll call the police and have the person arrested. (unless I get to the b*stard first, which is a bit of gruesomeness my daughters don't need to know about...)
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I've also told them how people who do bad things to kids often make threats about how they'll hurt/kill people the kids care about if they tell anybody, and how they should tell me or their mother anyway, since as soon as we're told, we'll call the police and have the person arrested. (unless I get to the b*stard first, which is a bit of gruesomeness my daughters don't need to know about...)"

Now who's the crazy one? I understand that you want to protect your daughters, but taking the situation into your own hands before the police intervine is not a good idea.
    ...ok were you just joking, I really cant tell because the rest of this post is so serious

-DJC
    I am going to visit the sarracenia in Oregon someday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't feel it's crazy to think that DJC. Ask any parent and they'll say the same thing. This is a common sentiment when someone threatens or harms your child, but whether we would actually do it is another matter. Maybe...

Look at it this way. You often see stories about children who are harmed in this way. But how often do you see stories about parents who take matters into their own hands? They're the animals, not us. In my mind, my first impulse would be to brutally get revenge. But I know the prison system has some sweet fellows who could do it so much better. Prison justice would be far more harsh than what I could dish out. They love perverts!
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12