Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with my pc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before going with an 8 year old, unsupported operating system, at least consider Ubuntu and if it's really old, Xubuntu, both of which are free and extremely well supported with a great community. I'm currently running Ubuntu on a computer built on 1/12/1999. It's amazing what Linux can do. If I didn't know better, I would think this computer is a year old. I can do everything Windows 98 would allow me to do plus it's still being supported, updated and patched. It's almost guaranteed to be immune to viruses and malware and virtually any program you would need for it would be free. If you have any questions give me a holler!

~ Brett

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just asked my son about whether he made progress with it. Apparently, he used a very old Windows 98 disk he had and he did a scandisk, using DOS, instead of Windows and Windows repaired itself. That was my understanding of what transpired. And I didn't lose anything.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I sure would not go to 2000 It's worse than 98.
    IME Millenium edition was crap, but 2000 was good once you delt with the fact that it was NT based (easier said than done.)

Quote[/b] ]I just asked my son about whether he made progress with it. Apparently, he used a very old Windows 98 disk he had and he did a scandisk, using DOS, instead of Windows and Windows repaired itself. That was my understanding of what transpired
    How nice of windows! It broke itself, do the least it could do is let you make it fix itself! lol Good thing you got it fixed. This problem is just a pain in the rear end because there's sooo many things it could be. The fact that we'd have been giving advice without being able to see it would have compounded the problem.

When windows tries to commit suicide, you just need to out-dumb it (you need to think, if I were dumb, what would I make someone do to fix me?) It's a pain because you need a smart person to think dumb- not anybody can make themself think at this level of dumb!

In any case, glad you got it all fixed. At the end of the day, you can always replace a hard drive, but if it's truely bork'd then getting data off of it can be next to impossible. Hooray!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typing live, from ole' faithful Gateway G6-400c, thanks, J.T.! My next computer will be a hand-me-down XP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 23 2006,9:37)]Typing live, from ole' faithful Gateway G6-400c, thanks, J.T.!
    Quote[/b] ]I'm using the church computer right now
    Perhaps your thanks to J.T was misguided. Perhaps your thanks should really be to J. C. (or Bill Gates?)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Perhaps your thanks to J.T was misguided. Perhaps your thanks should really be to J. C.
    In all fairness I think you're right. God's hand probably played a role in getting this thing fixed. Windows be an ornery beast!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Aug. 23 2006,6:02)]
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 23 2006,9:37)]Typing live, from ole' faithful Gateway G6-400c, thanks, J.T.!
    Quote[/b] ]I'm using the church computer right now
    Perhaps your thanks to J.T was misguided. Perhaps your thanks should really be to J. C. (or Bill Gates?)
    LOL! And here I was, trying to think which forum member had the initials, J.C.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Est @ Aug. 18 2006,8:31)]Just my opinion here, but considering the disparity of resources consumed between 98 and XP and the seemingly change in number of crashes- I'm not too impressed. And if Jim's machine is older, I'm not really sure if it's a good idea anyway.
    Windows 98 was a beast, but at least I had it at bay, I knew the ins and outs and when something went wrong, I could generally go to the source of the problem without all the hubbub. Seems like XP is still a beast, albeit more complex.
    Are you saying XP crashes *more* than Win98 did?
    If so, my experience is the opposite..

I had a 98 machine for many years..
    was mostly stable, but would lock-up once in awhile..
    just freeze solid, whatever was on the screen would just stay there frozen..mouse or keyboard had no effect..
    had to unplug it to reboot..
    (and then on the re-boot windows would always give you hat hilarious message about "windows was not shut down properly, make sure you shut down the machine properly you moron"..like it was MY fault! )
    would happen 1 or 2 times a month.

For the last 3 years or so I have been using WinXP machines at both home and work..EVERY day for three years..
    8 hours a day at work, with one main desktop and 2 other machines, plus my Home XP machine that my wife and I use every day..

I have not had ONE sngle problem with any of these XP machines..never one freeze-up, never one error message..nothing.
    for me, XP is practically a miracle..

Scot

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast