Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with my pc?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mind you, I'm using still using Windows 98. Today I had to shutdown by physically unplugging the tower from the surge protector, because the power button wouldn't respond. But when I started up again, I got this screen whereby there was a message about a boot error and that I needed to insert a disk into drive A. I tried CTRL ALT DEL, but that just shut the pc down. Starting it up again only gets the same error message. What is wrong with that thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid Question: Are all discs out of all drives?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure there are no disks in any drives. Is the PC getting to Windows or is it stopping at a black screen before loading Windows?
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How far along the boot process do you get before you see the screen? E.G. Do you get to the point where you see the Win98 startup picture?

This sounds like an issue which will probably involve a lot of explaining (I can get to this screen, then this happens, and this is exactly what it says.)
    The more you can tell us, the more we can narrow it down. Could be something simple.

Does it tell us what disk it wants you to insert? And you're sure you don't already have a diskette in? (no booting with disks in!)
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, I hate to tell you this, but from the sounds of it your Hard Drive just crashed. Now that is preliminary mind you, since a little more details is warented. It could be just a bad bootsector or needing a re-install of 98. I had a microsoft tech tell me that to keep windows running smooth required a re-install every 6 months. Now I don't practice that, but sometimes it does help to get things running smooth again. You may need to just replace the hard drive and go. Or just need to reinstall and go. Will not know till a more exact desciption is given. Well I;m off to work. Have a nice day.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm, jimscott hellooo ? Come on buddy you can make it, snap out of it ! Boot dang it BOOT !! ........... Clear ! ............
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it does require a reinstall, don't reinstall 98, eww! Install xp!
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 17 2006,9:06)]Mind you, I'm using still using Windows 98.
    There's your problem, right there.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast