What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That time of the year again

Looks like the queens have started to leave the colonies early. Last year I had a problem with one starting a nest in my fuschia. This year they are in my fuschia, my sarracenia pots, all the hanging baskets, my neps. Heck my pool is covered in them. Guess I will have to repot before I bring everything in for the winter
smile_h_32.gif
. Any one else have this happen?

Ants have always been welcome in my bogs. They keep pests from eating the plants. But I guess your ants are different.

Some Orthene will take care of them!Like you said,repotting is a good idea if you are bringing them inside.

Jerry

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Aug. 20 2006,6:33)]Ants have always been welcome in my bogs.  They keep pests from eating the plants.  But I guess your ants are different.
No, the ants are welcome. They just wear their welcome out when the make nests in the pots. Not fun while trying to repot your plants and end up getting attacked by some mighty pissed ants
smile_h_32.gif
Then again, I could start that ant farm I was looking to build....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cool85k5 @ Aug. 20 2006,4:46)]Some Orthene will take care of them!Like you said,repotting is a good idea if you are bringing them inside.

Jerry
Unless the ants are eating the plants, Orthene probably wont do too much to them. Maybe if you drown a few while spraying the plants. Orthene works by being absorbed into the plants cells, in effect making the plant itself toxic to pests. Its a champ for killing aphids, sorta drops the ball when it comes to ants though.

Believe me,when you spray the plants with Orthene it will get the ants attention!Just soak the plants down good,or mix some Orthene in a bucket and dip you potted plants in it,thats what I did and it killed them quick!You can spray any random bug with it and see what happens,and no I don't mean kill every bug in sight!

Jerry

why are ants bad? its like thanksgiving for your plants

Like dgower82 said,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not fun while trying to repot your plants and end up getting attacked by some mighty pissed ants.

Jerry

laugh.gif

ants eating plants? I doubt you have Acromyrmanex, or Atta (leaf cutter or fungus growing ants) in youre area (spelling is probably all off). But the alates, Now If you see any ants around some aphids I really sudgest you spray the heck out of youre plants, as most ants will Herd them and milk the aphids. They just love the sweet dew the aphids produce! And the aphids love the protection the ants offer.

Where do you live exactly.

Back