What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does one need to do to start a CP society?

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
I am a member of my Local OS, but what would need to be done to start a CP society thats affiliated with the National society?  Or how would I go about finding out if there is one down here in the south localy or regional?  I am interested, but have no clue about how to get one started or find out if there is one here.

I lucked up and found out about the local OS because I had stopped into one of the local nurseries and brought in an orchid I bought from lowes to see if things looked good.  Since I knew a local nursery would have more knowledge than a chain store would, and they sold orchids too.  Just so happens the lady I talked with was the owner and our societies secretary. LOL  She got me to come down and I joined.

Thanks everyone.

He's in Georgia.

Josh, I have not found a CPS here and I know most of the major CPers in Atl. I think the thing to do to start one would be to just try and contact as many CPers as possible and set up a meeting somewhere. Odds are it is just going to have to be an informal thing for a bit till it can get fully structured.

That seems like it might be something to try. Care to help Pyro? I don;t know any other CPers here in my area, but ATL is not too far away and I could possibly stand to drive up there on a semi-monthly basis. My OS only meets every other month.

Stephen I am in GA like Pyro said, but more specificly I am in Grovetown. Right outside of Augusta.

maby your OS could have an branch every meeting for CPs...

What would be neat would be a get together at ABG.It would be a while before I could go,but I would be willing!

Jerry

I would LOVE to go back to ABG.  We need to figure out what would be best for folks.  That way I can request that day off.  I really think it would be a neet thing, and I hope we can pull it off.

Lets get a something setup.  The first sunday in October is my OS meeting, so what about the first Saturday in November?

Glider that is a good idea, but I don't think there is anyone there willing to go into CPs too. I only know of 2 others who grow CPs there. I am trying to convert some of them. I passed out ventrata cuttings last time, but I don;t think any of them will get into it like we are. One Lady has some Sarrs and things, but nothing fancy so she says, and it would have to be something seperate. Since our dues are going to cover orchid speakers. Not CP speakers.

Josh,

I am up to my eyeballs in so much other stuff that I can not offer much assistance. I can probably find out if ABG has a meeting place to use and once we actually have a date/time I can contact other Atl growers and try to get them to come but with everything else I have going on that is about all I can do. Sorry.

I can call ABG Pyro thats not a problem. I am sure they do have a meeting place. They do the orchid judging there for the AOS. The thing that would be most helpful would just be for you to contact the other growers and find out if its something they would be interested in. I realize people are busy, and Come this time next year I will be in nursing school, so I am hopeing to get it off the ground before then and its kinda takes off if not all my efforts will be for not anyhow. Its something I would like to do, but there has to be interest for it as well.

Back