Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Request for minors on the board

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Aug. 25 2006,2:09)]And yes, parents do freak out, and they do tend to jump to conclusions. I am a parent, and I would be no different, if I suddenly realised that adult men were interacting with my daughters. If I knew what it was about and why (i.e., discussing a common hobby like growing plants and trading them), and knew I could check chat logs any time to verify they were OK, and could let the other people know that their activity with my daughters was subject to scrutiny, I would be more relaxed.
    We are no longer as innocent as we once were. There was once a time when I could have left my house unlocked while I was running around town. But those times are gone now. We are constantly reminded of the weirdos out there by the TV news broadcasts and newspaper headlines. So we begin to suspect every stranger of being guilty until proven innocent. Not a good sign for a democratic society. But on the other hand, it's better safe than sorry. Especially with our children. You are our future. You will be the leaders of this country.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC, my mom looked at the GA sexual predator database and we have one within 1 mile from us

i'm not aloud to sleep with my window blinds open anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CT's list would include someone who had been a high school senior convicted of having a consensual relationship with a freshman. A kid is at much more risk from father, mother's boy friend, brother, brother's friend, uncle, ... than from the person a mile away who's on a predator list. A random person on the internet is even less of a threat.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like pointing out that there's a fair amount of blame to rest with many parents today. If you give your 12-year-old unfettered access to the internet and you're surprised to find out there are adults online too, capable of communicating with your kid, then I'm sorry, you shouldn't have internet service in your house. You have to be pretty ignorant not to see that coming. The internet is a communication medium, not an electronic babysitter, and people need to realize that. It's the parents' responsiblity to keep an eye on their kids, because sometimes, kids do stupid things.
    Not that Scott's post is falling on deaf ears - I think the minors out there should get their parents involved in all their activities, particularly the things they do on the internet, and especially here, where trading plants and exchanging shipping information happens frequently. But that doesn't change the fact that this woman you mentioned gave her 12-year-old daughter free access to a game that's mostly played by teenage men and older, not to mention having a fair share of fantasy violence. If you're too stupid to know that you can cut yourself with a knife, then you have no business whatsoever giving your child a knife to play with; it's precisely the same with things like the internet. Would anyone hesitate to blame the parents for giving their kid a gory horror movie? "Oh, 'Jeepers Creepers' sounded like a cute title - I didn't know that there would be disemboweling!" Read the box!
    This reminds me of a number of other 'shocking' discoveries people have recently made, such as when parents were dismayed to find their kids were watching violent and/or racy programs on premium cable channels. Or, my favorite, the indignitude that swept the nation when it occured to people that their internet activity at work might be monitored by the network technicians that operate the company connections - IMAGINE, your company acts as an intermediary to provide you with a service for the purpose of expediting your work, any they actually have the gall to keep tabs on how you use it. I know I, for one, was horrified. Or website profiling - you're submitting requests for information to a company, and they're sending information to you in return. How dare they be aware of what services you're soliciting and recieving from them!
    Sorry to get all ranty on y'all, but really, have some personal accountability, folks. The internet is a privledge and a tool, not some perfect personal assistant that's totally infallible and benevolent. Don't coddle yourselves.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I saw the topic of this thread I thought it had to do with the Sarracenia. I don't think "Request for minors" is the best choice of words. Sounds like you're in the market for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think a Sarracenia minor would have that much to say...
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And as for strange people, have any of you actually MET SarraceniaScott?

Just kidding Scott...couldn't resist.
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I don't think a Sarracenia minor would have that much to say...
    i dont think a sarracenia minor wouldnt have much to say either. hahah thats hillarious what about heliamphora minor?
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast