What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crocodile Hunter - Steve Irwin died

Yeah, the long and short of it is that he was apparently stabbed through the chest by a stingray or something. It's nuts because just about everybody knows- except for his wife who is out in some reomte location where nobody can contact her at the time.
smile_h_32.gif

How sad
smile_h_32.gif

Until reading this story and watching the video I didn't know stingrays could be so dangerous. It's quite unfortunate to hear about someone dying who loved nature so much.

This is sad I liked this guy. I thought he was nuts some times. I would have figured hw would have been killed by a snake bite, tiger, or even a croc before he would be killed by a STINGRAY. Heck I have even fed those things at seaworld.

I feel so bad about this, what a way to start Labor Day! I really liked him.

Was this a freak accident or was he bothering the animal? He was an accident waiting to happen but I still love this guy.

Edit: I just found out that he was swimming over the stingray and the tail went up and the park pierced his hear. I feel SO bad about it. I'm glad it was a freak accident. I thought they didn't really sting you unless you stepped on them.

He will be missed!
smile_h_32.gif
confused.gif

Jerry

I already miss the guy. I met him a few times and he's a really cool guy to talk to. Its sad he's gone

hes been attacked by crocs, bitten by the most poisonous snakes on earth and was killed by a sting ray...
heres another link
Steven Irwin Dies
Alex

smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

I made a post about this when I first heard about it last night. I deleted it when I saw this had already been posted. I started to make a post here but it was one of those rare times when I couldn't find anything to say. I still can't really think of what to say. I'd admired him because he always stood up for the animals. He tried to break through the misconceptions that people have about dangerous animals.

I heard on the news that the barb from the stingray punctured his heart and he died instantly.

The world is worse off now that he's gone but a better place because he was here.

It is sad to see him gone. Especially since you know that he and his family really did love eachother. I feel sorry for his wife and kids, they lost a great man. I thought him a bit extreme, but he truely loved the enviroment.

I wonder if Agro the croc misses him....

This guy gave me so much information on so many animals. It's sad. I recorded every show I could find on this guy. I was even thinking of one day going down to see his zoo. I still will some day, but it won't be the same.

R.I.P. Steve

Ack! I heard about this just a few minutes ago! I can't beleive it. This stinks!

I always found him to be so entertaining, and I really loved how he could wrangle just about any sake with his bare hands.

It's just so weird that a guy, as you all have said, who jumped on the back of a 15' croc is killed by a usually harmless animal - and is such a weird way.

Here's the most detailed account of what happened that I have found so far.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Death

Shortly after 11:00 a.m. local time on September 4, 2006, Irwin was fatally pierced in the chest by a short-tail stingray barb while diving in Batt Reef (part of the Great Barrier Reef), off the coast of Port Douglas in Queensland. Irwin was in the area filming his own documentary, to be called The Ocean's Deadliest, but weather had stalled filming. Irwin decided to take the opportunity to film some shallow water shots for a segment in the television program his daughter Bindi was hosting,[25] when, according to his friend and colleague John Stainton, he swam too close to one of the animals. "He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat, called the Croc I, at the time.

The events were caught on camera, and the footage was handed to the Queensland Police.[26] After reviewing the footage of the incident and speaking to the cameraman who recorded it, marine documentary filmmaker and fisherman Ben Cropp speculated that the stingray "felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead."[26] In such a case, the stingray responds by automatically flexing the serrated barb on its tail up to a maximum of 25 cm (10 in) of length. Cropp said Irwin had accidentally boxed the animal in. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest. It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger." The stinging of Irwin by the Bull Ray was "a one-in-a-million thing," Cropp told Time magazine. "I have swum with many rays, and I have only had one do that to me."[27]

Crewmembers aboard his boat called emergency services in the nearest city of Cairns and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Lowe Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later.[28] The barb lodged in his chest and the toxins of the barb caused Irwin to die of cardiac arrest.[29]

Irwin's body was flown to a morgue in Cairns,[30] where stunned family and friends were gathering on Monday night. His wife Terri was informed of her husband's death while on a walking tour in the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park in Tasmania, and returned via private plane from Devonport to the Sunshine Coast with their two children.[26]

This was only the third known fatality in Australian history from a stingray attack, and the first since 1945. As of 1996, only seventeen worldwide fatalities had been recorded,[31], and it is believed to be the only fatal attack ever captured on film.[32]

I think he would of laughed if someone told him his life was to end in an ancounter with a stingray.....
confused.gif

Here's a quote that I think sums him up the most.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]These Hitlers use the camouflage of science to make money out of animals... So whenever they murder our animals and call it sustainable use, I'll fight it. Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species?

There are people who butt out their cigarettes in gorilla-paw ashtrays, with wastepaper baskets that were once elephant feet, who have ivory ornaments… who wear cheetah fur. Don't buy these things! Then there'll be no market and the animals won't be killed.

We have domesticated livestock raised for consumption and perfectly good fake leather and fur, so why must we kill wild animals to satisfy the macabre taste of some rich person?

hmm.. why is it ok to have domestic livestock for food but not ok to use the leather? weird. minks fox and chinchilla are domesticated (for the fur trade) right?

In killing minks, fox and chinchilla we do not push them to the brink of extinction in the same way as killing elephants, cheetahs and gorillas.

I also met Steve, I was 10 at the time, and he was a really great guy. My Dad knew him well for awhile as his flight agency handled alot of Steve's Australian domestic flights. He will be dearly missed.

Zac

Yes, I thought Ole Steve was certifiable at times. Yet he was gr8 company when I was recovering from a knee replacement surgery (3 _4 month recouperation period) several years ago.
He even had a short bit about carnivorous plants on one of his episodes.
I will miss him. I hope all the best to Terri anf the kids as they start their new life without him.
( Wiping a tear)
Lois

I happened to see the news when it broke at 2 a.m. here on CNN. I was stunned. It was unbelievable.
smile_h_32.gif

He was so full of joy and passion for animals and for getting information out to the public for conservation. You could see how much he enjoyed what he did. I feel terrible for his family...wife and kids in particular. By all accounts he was a great father.

He was kinda nutty at times but you couldn't help but like the guy. He accomplished an awful lot for the animal world in his tragically shortened life.

Godspeed to Steve on his new journey.
smile_h_32.gif

Back