What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sifting peat

When ever I soak my peat, big puffs of peat dust fly in my face, and it makes me cough. So, I though, why not sift it first? So, I did, and it makes all the brown dust go away. It also cuts down on the soaking time. Does this do anything to the consitency of the peat? Does it make it too thick?

-Ben

I think Peat is more for Just keeping the plants stable, and giving them a steady supply of water. Cause You can grow CP in sand, and what not, I dont see whats wrong with it being thicker.

Though some fussy CPs might not like it!

Cheers

okay...I recently made my terrarium. This is how I did it.

1) Take a medium sized bucket.
2) Put water in it...abot a fourth the way.
3) Then put the peat from the compressed BALES drectly.
4) it will all float. just put ur hand in the bucket...grab a fist full....sink it in water and squeeze.
5) do this a couple of times...amd interestingly....nearly all the water is absorbed.
I however....squeezed and remved as much water from the peat as possible since I used tap water to soak it. Then once in terrarium...I used rain+bottle water.

btw...peat is necessary..as CP's grow in marsh bogs where the peat makes the soil acidic. They cannot thus live in neutral or alkaline soils.

Oh, I know how to soak peat and everything, I was just wondering if sifting out the finer particles would do anything. Thanks though.

-Ben

ooh...lol! sorry...well...I just used the peat as it is. No removal of smaller particles. I think the smaller particles is ALSO peat but not dust since...in bale production..peat is dried and compressed obviously squishing it all.

Don't worry...once it absorbs moisture all of the peat has the same consistensy. I actually think smaller paticles is better for freeing up the roots and allowing more aeration.

However, one may also argue that bigger particles leave bigger gaps which allow more aeration.
smile_n_32.gif

Ben I agree its not good to breath in that stuff, but sifting it out is just going to give you the same dusting up as ussual. Your either going to get it before you go and pot up or when you do go and pot up. Unless your planning on sifting the entire bale or bag at one time and saving it for later. Then you also have to realize how much peat your wasting. I am assuming the sifter is not a very fine one or is it? If it is it might be fine, but I would still say your wasting alot. Just get you some breathing facemask. The disposable kind. They only cost a few bucks from Walmart, Lowes, or HD. Careful not to breath that stuff in to much. I recomend a mask or hold your breath. What I normaly do is mix up a 5 gallon bucket at a time and leave it in there till finish it. I drain most of the water off and put a lid on it. Then its already mixxed and read for when I need more. That way dust and face mask only once.

The dust probably consist of a bit of dirt and fine particles of peat. Be carefull not to breath the dust when you are sifting it. There is at least one pathogenic fungi that can be found in peat and it can cause health problems, though it rarely happens.

Back