What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five Years Ago Today...

I was riding the bus into work, as I did every day. Halfway there, somebody yelled, "Hey, a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center!" I shook my head and thought it was some idiot in a Cessna. The bus arrived, and I walked a block to my building. I worked in downtown Kansas City, on the top floor of a 34-story building (the second tallest in KC). I rode the elevator to the top floor.

Today was going to be an atypical day; I was flying to Urbana, Illinois to go recruiting. As I got off the elevator and began walking to my desk, I noticed something was wrong. It was dead silent. Everybody was standing in mute horror, looking at the TV monitors around the trade floor. I looked at the screen. The World Trade Center was on fire. I stopped and began watching with them. Within just a minute or two, I saw the second plane crash into the World Trade Center. I knew it couldn't be an accident at that point.

Traders were frantically calling friends at the NYMEX, and friends who worked in the WTC. Some people were crying. Other than that, it was quiet.

I called my wife, and told her to turn on the TV. She thought I was joking when I told her what I saw, until she saw it, too. I heard her say, "Oh, my God!" and then she just hung up.

I saw the first tower collapse. Some people around me screamed. Then the second. The company president got on the intercom and informed us that we were evacuating our building as a precaution. I had no car, as I rode the bus in. One of my coworkers offered me a ride home. When we got to street level, I felt like I had walked onto the set of a Jerry Bruckheimer movie. There were tanks and APCs everywhere, and armed troops. Kansas City, for those who don't know, is a major federal site; there are several very prominent federal buildings there, and it was #2 on Tim McVeigh's list. The national guard had locked it down. It was a real hassle navigating out from downtown onto the highway, as they'd cordoned off a safe zone around each federal building, and this made navigation downtown nearly impossible.

We didn't say a word on the ride home, just listened to the radio. We heard sketchy reports that the Pentagon had been hit, and that another plane had crashed in Pennsylvania.

When I got home, my wife was huddled with our then-two-year-old daughter in front of the TV, mouth agape. She, too, had watched the towers collapse, and was nearly in shock. For the rest of the day, all we did was sit in bed, watching the news, and the wild speculation. We saw one of the taller buildings adjacent the WTC collapse later that night.

That is where I was, and what I saw, on 11 September 2001.

My wife and I had just got off third shift work and stopped at the grocery store. The chicago radio station WLS had the announcement about the first plane and we we're kind of like, hmm did we hear that right ? Naaa. Got home and turned on the TV to the horror of it all. It was a very restless sleep that afternoon. I still have a copy of the paper from 9/10 and look at it once in a while. That was the last day the I had a sense of blind security in this country.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseraguy @ Sep. 11 2006,9:11)]My wife and I had just got off third shift work and stopped at the grocery store. The chicago radio station WLS had the announcement about the first plane and we we're kind of like, hmm did we hear that right ? Naaa. Got home and turned on the TV to the horror of it all. It was a very restless sleep that afternoon. I still have a copy of the paper from 9/10 and look at it once in a while. That was the last day the I had a sense of blind security in this country.
Check out the time stamp on your reply. 9:11 am.

How odd... didn't plan it that way. Creepy !

I was in the 6th grade. They came on the intercome and said they were sorry for the families who were involved in the Tragedy. We had no idea what was going on, not even the teachers, untill the next period.

That is spooky,SS. Good eye.

I got sent home from school for being late. I was down the block when my brother saw me and said he heard it on the radio. We woke our mom up and just sat there and watched the t.v. in shock. Thoughts of who could have done this went through my head and what I could do to get them back. Ever since then not a day goes by without me thinking of joining the Marines to get my pay back them cowards. Later that day I went back to school to see if we had football practice. They sent us all home. So from there I went to help out at my little brothers school building some temp walls. Ever since then everything has been crazy. Gas prices, the war, everything. Kinda makes me mad that something like this had to happen before he got to wear the American Flag sticker on the back of out helmets. And for everyone to put out our flag. Things like this should have been before any of this happened. They say it made use stronger. Well we should have already been as strong as we needed to be. That's what I think and what I was doing.

I was travelling when it happened. In Scotland, playing golf and visiting pubs. We were on the 17th fairway when I sprayed a drive to the right (common occurance), and my ball landed near another guy's ball. I told him to go ahead, and he recognized my accent (American) and told me that a plane hit the WTC. Like Scott mentioned, I thought Cessna. So we finished up and went into the clubhouse, where everyone was huddled around the TV. To this day I'm not sure if I saw the second tower get hit live or in a tape replay. I think it was live.

We didn't know what to do. What does one do? There was no flying anywhere for a while, so we just continued the trip. Playing golf and visiting pubs - which never felt quite right, but we had reservations and everything.

Anyway, to lighten the mood, there was a funny story. On the Friday after 9/11, there was some sort of "standing with the USA" day in Ireland (where we had moved on to), where they closed down all the businesses for the night. It seemed like a touching gesture that we appreciated. Until they actually did it. They closed everthing. EVERYTHING. Restaurants included. Our hotel didn't even have a restaurant. We asked our hotel lady what we should do to get some food, and you could see the look on her face as it dawned on here there was no good answer. So we're in this town (Galway) where there are a lot of tourists, and you could see them all wandering the town like zombies. Nobody could get dinner! It was kind of funny, actually. Finally, at around 9:30pm, a tiny Indian restaurant realized what was going on and opened up. We were standing in the right place, and got a table. LOL!

Max

My dad came home from work pale as a ghost and very upset. He turned the tv to the news channel and then my mom, dad and I watched in horror as everything went down. To this day I still see in my mind the plane turning to crash into the WTC. Wow..... I don't know what to say
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Sep. 11 2006,10:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseraguy @ Sep. 11 2006,9:11)]My wife and I had just got off third shift work and stopped at the grocery store. The chicago radio station WLS had the announcement about the first plane and we we're kind of like, hmm did we hear that right ? Naaa. Got home and turned on the TV to the horror of it all. It was a very restless sleep that afternoon. I still have a copy of the paper from 9/10 and look at it once in a while. That was the last day the I had a sense of blind security in this country.
Check out the time stamp on your reply. 9:11 am.
Wow, that's creepy!

His timestamp was 6:11 for me. haha...

The morning show I listen to had a pretty cool thing they played... Had to just stop and listen (as if I kept working I would likely cut my hand off haha...) Anyway- you can check it out here as a download or podcast or listen from location.
Andrew

I was dreaming that I was collecting aluminum cans with this gorgeous girl that I had a huge crush on. I woke up to my crazy neighbor, kevin, blowing what sounded like a conch shell. HE was screaming for everyone to get up. I remember people yelling at him to shut up. I was so angry that he had interupted my dream. The next thing I know I hear footsteps coming up my stairs... "Wake up guys!"
"Kevin! how the @#$% did you get into my house?"
"I climbed through your window..."
"Why?"
"two planes have just crashed into the World Trade Center!"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kahnli @ Sep. 11 2006,2:31)]I was dreaming that I was collecting aluminum cans with this gorgeous girl that I had a huge crush on. I woke up to my crazy neighbor, kevin, blowing what sounded like a conch shell. HE was screaming for everyone to get up. I remember people yelling at him to shut up. I was so angry that he had interupted my dream. The next thing I know I hear footsteps coming up my stairs... "Wake up guys!"
"Kevin! how the @#$% did you get into my house?"
"I climbed through your window..."
"Why?"
"two planes have just crashed into the World Trade Center!"

Your friend Kevin must be prone to panic
laugh.gif

I had turned on the TV, and was flipping chanels (I usualy had about 10 min's of free time b4 I had to go wait for the bus back then) and I saw some kind of reports, and I was like Wow some building got hit. W/e, So I walked out side and my friend came to the bus stop.

Me: "hey Did you hear about the building that got hit?
Friend: "yea, the world trade center"
Me: "I bet it will start a war or something for who ever did it"
Friend: "I really doubt it its just a building, the USA is just gonna say some stuff to them threatin them and nothing wil happen"

But you have to rember I was 11, and my friend 12, we didnt know alot aobut politics and what was really going on, well my friend did. But I just had this gut feeling that their was gonna be a war.

And I had lived on Base in South Dakota, and it was crazy cause the next day, Big bricks, and Gates closing at certain times... alot more aircraft stuff, people started panicing, my band teacher started crying cause her son was flying on a plane to NY. She didnt know if it was his or not until later. But I guess some bases closed and stuff, (I know the school I was at in alaska and the base did their too).

Kinda crazy things... I guess Its just another disaster, not the biggest deal, but then again It happend when I didnt really care about any thing except for my self.

I was taking a US History Test when another teacher came in and said turn on the TV. So my teacher did and we saw the building on fire. Then we saw the second plane strike. Our teacher turned off the TV after about the fifth replay of it, and told us to finish our tests. I couldn't really focus. I then proceeded to AP Bio, and we watched the news. We saw the first towers collapse. I also remember seeing people jumping from windows on the towers. Then of course we hear that the pentagon was hit and another plane crashed in a field. It was hard to really assorb. Though it seemed appropaite that we were taking a US History test when it happened. For US History changed that day. The world has changed. There is no argueing that. The talk at lunch, halls, and classes were mainly about revenge and who done it.

Five years and one week ago today, I was at the World Trade Center.  My aunt, uncle, cousin and grandmother were living about 2 blocks away, and I was staying with them and visiting colleges.  My grandmother's room had an incredible view of the towers, and she mentioned, jokingly, "I always wonder what would happen if they fell...would they fall on us?"

One week later, the day before my senior year of high school would start, I had gotten up early to finish up some summer work (I'm a big procrastinator).  Actually, I had decided to play Chrono Trigger instead.  
smile_n_32.gif
 I was fighting Gato when the phone rang and I answered.  It was my mother's cousin calling from Austria. She wanted to know how my NYC relatives were doing. "Fine," I answered, a little confused, wondering how she knew I had been there, and why she'd call me instead of just calling them. Then she said the world trade center had collapsed.

Anyway...after a day or two of trying to contact them, we got ahold and found out they were alright. My uncle, who was taking my cousin for a walk in his stroller, saw the first plane hit. They had actually been planning on going to the WTC later that day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ Sep. 11 2006,3:26)]Anyway...after a day or two of trying to contact them, we got ahold and found out they were alright. My uncle, who was taking my cousin for a walk in his stroller, saw the first plane hit. They had actually been planning on going to the WTC later that day.
confused.gif

Creepy!

i was in fith grade, first period, math class. i was on problem #15. our school secretary person came in and told my teacher what had happened in privet. my teacher came in...pale as a ghost and turned on the TV then sat at her desk and started to cry...we watched as the plane hit the 2nd tower. we learned about a week later that the reason my teacher came in pale as a ghost was that her aunt was on the first plane. she was out of school for almost 2 weeks. illnever forget that day.
smile_h_32.gif

Alex

PS. somthing to make things happier possibly....Happy Patriot Day!
smile.gif

I was at work when it happened.I heard it on the radio,I wasn't sure what was going on till they said the WTC had been hit.
confused.gif

What a sad day,sure did'nt get much work done.Anyway,does anyone have a favorite song the came from the tragady?I guess mine is Angry American by Toby Kieth,thats about how I felt that day!

Jerry

Hmmm.. I didn't hear any songs about it because I don't listen to country.

I'm thinking hard.. I really can't think of any.

Mosh by eminem is based on the war which was started by 9/11. its the only song i know of.
Alex

Back