Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Five Years Ago Today...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding the bus into work, as I did every day. Halfway there, somebody yelled, "Hey, a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center!" I shook my head and thought it was some idiot in a Cessna. The bus arrived, and I walked a block to my building. I worked in downtown Kansas City, on the top floor of a 34-story building (the second tallest in KC). I rode the elevator to the top floor.

Today was going to be an atypical day; I was flying to Urbana, Illinois to go recruiting. As I got off the elevator and began walking to my desk, I noticed something was wrong. It was dead silent. Everybody was standing in mute horror, looking at the TV monitors around the trade floor. I looked at the screen. The World Trade Center was on fire. I stopped and began watching with them. Within just a minute or two, I saw the second plane crash into the World Trade Center. I knew it couldn't be an accident at that point.

Traders were frantically calling friends at the NYMEX, and friends who worked in the WTC. Some people were crying. Other than that, it was quiet.

I called my wife, and told her to turn on the TV. She thought I was joking when I told her what I saw, until she saw it, too. I heard her say, "Oh, my God!" and then she just hung up.

I saw the first tower collapse. Some people around me screamed. Then the second. The company president got on the intercom and informed us that we were evacuating our building as a precaution. I had no car, as I rode the bus in. One of my coworkers offered me a ride home. When we got to street level, I felt like I had walked onto the set of a Jerry Bruckheimer movie. There were tanks and APCs everywhere, and armed troops. Kansas City, for those who don't know, is a major federal site; there are several very prominent federal buildings there, and it was #2 on Tim McVeigh's list. The national guard had locked it down. It was a real hassle navigating out from downtown onto the highway, as they'd cordoned off a safe zone around each federal building, and this made navigation downtown nearly impossible.

We didn't say a word on the ride home, just listened to the radio. We heard sketchy reports that the Pentagon had been hit, and that another plane had crashed in Pennsylvania.

When I got home, my wife was huddled with our then-two-year-old daughter in front of the TV, mouth agape. She, too, had watched the towers collapse, and was nearly in shock. For the rest of the day, all we did was sit in bed, watching the news, and the wild speculation. We saw one of the taller buildings adjacent the WTC collapse later that night.

That is where I was, and what I saw, on 11 September 2001.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I had just got off third shift work and stopped at the grocery store. The chicago radio station WLS had the announcement about the first plane and we we're kind of like, hmm did we hear that right ? Naaa. Got home and turned on the TV to the horror of it all. It was a very restless sleep that afternoon. I still have a copy of the paper from 9/10 and look at it once in a while. That was the last day the I had a sense of blind security in this country.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (droseraguy @ Sep. 11 2006,9:11)]My wife and I had just got off third shift work and stopped at the grocery store. The chicago radio station WLS had the announcement about the first plane and we we're kind of like, hmm did we hear that right ? Naaa. Got home and turned on the TV to the horror of it all. It was a very restless sleep that afternoon. I still have a copy of the paper from 9/10 and look at it once in a while. That was the last day the I had a sense of blind security in this country.
    Check out the time stamp on your reply. 9:11 am.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How odd... didn't plan it that way. Creepy !
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the 6th grade. They came on the intercome and said they were sorry for the families who were involved in the Tragedy. We had no idea what was going on, not even the teachers, untill the next period.

That is spooky,SS. Good eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got sent home from school for being late. I was down the block when my brother saw me and said he heard it on the radio. We woke our mom up and just sat there and watched the t.v. in shock. Thoughts of who could have done this went through my head and what I could do to get them back. Ever since then not a day goes by without me thinking of joining the Marines to get my pay back them cowards. Later that day I went back to school to see if we had football practice. They sent us all home. So from there I went to help out at my little brothers school building some temp walls. Ever since then everything has been crazy. Gas prices, the war, everything. Kinda makes me mad that something like this had to happen before he got to wear the American Flag sticker on the back of out helmets. And for everyone to put out our flag. Things like this should have been before any of this happened. They say it made use stronger. Well we should have already been as strong as we needed to be. That's what I think and what I was doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was travelling when it happened. In Scotland, playing golf and visiting pubs. We were on the 17th fairway when I sprayed a drive to the right (common occurance), and my ball landed near another guy's ball. I told him to go ahead, and he recognized my accent (American) and told me that a plane hit the WTC. Like Scott mentioned, I thought Cessna. So we finished up and went into the clubhouse, where everyone was huddled around the TV. To this day I'm not sure if I saw the second tower get hit live or in a tape replay. I think it was live.

We didn't know what to do. What does one do? There was no flying anywhere for a while, so we just continued the trip. Playing golf and visiting pubs - which never felt quite right, but we had reservations and everything.

Anyway, to lighten the mood, there was a funny story. On the Friday after 9/11, there was some sort of "standing with the USA" day in Ireland (where we had moved on to), where they closed down all the businesses for the night. It seemed like a touching gesture that we appreciated. Until they actually did it. They closed everthing. EVERYTHING. Restaurants included. Our hotel didn't even have a restaurant. We asked our hotel lady what we should do to get some food, and you could see the look on her face as it dawned on here there was no good answer. So we're in this town (Galway) where there are a lot of tourists, and you could see them all wandering the town like zombies. Nobody could get dinner! It was kind of funny, actually. Finally, at around 9:30pm, a tiny Indian restaurant realized what was going on and opened up. We were standing in the right place, and got a table. LOL!

Max
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

My dad came home from work pale as a ghost and very upset. He turned the tv to the news channel and then my mom, dad and I watched in horror as everything went down. To this day I still see in my mind the plane turning to crash into the WTC. Wow..... I don't know what to say

Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Sep. 11 2006,10:59)]
    Quote[/b] (droseraguy @ Sep. 11 2006,9:11)]My wife and I had just got off third shift work and stopped at the grocery store. The chicago radio station WLS had the announcement about the first plane and we we're kind of like, hmm did we hear that right ? Naaa. Got home and turned on the TV to the horror of it all. It was a very restless sleep that afternoon. I still have a copy of the paper from 9/10 and look at it once in a while. That was the last day the I had a sense of blind security in this country.
    Check out the time stamp on your reply. 9:11 am.
    Wow, that's creepy!

Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast