What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AHA!! My eyes! My eyes!

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So a couple weeks ago the 400W HID bulb that I use for my sun room plants burned out. I had already decided that I wanted to put a HID system in my crawlspace so I ordered a replacment bulb and a 1000W system. I decided I would swap out the 400W down to the crawlspace and replace it with the 1000W.

Everything arrived on Thursday and I spent the weekend putting it all together and stringing them up. Fired up the 400W in the crawlspace on Sunday and was very happy about it because I now have ~4-6 time the growing area I had before.

Last night I finished setting up the 1000W in the sunroom.

OH DEAR LORD!!! It is so friggin bright that I quite seriously need to wear sunglasses while working on the plants under it. I am also noticing that the plants probably could have used a new light sooner because under the 1000W system they look a little lackluster. Guess the 3 year old 400W bulb had lost a bit of its "umph" with time.

MORE POWER!!!! *grunt grunt grunt*
hehehe Mine is 500w and is crazy bright. I can only imagine 1000w!
cool.gif

Yeah My light is strong too, and I frequently have to wear shades when I am working in it. Maybe you have heard of the brand. The sun. LOL

LOL just kidding guys. Thats awsome Pyro! More growspace is wonderful! I am adding to that realestate myself!

Congrads on the new light. Get ya some goor shades!

OH Man I want one! I want one! I thought my imitation 120 watt was strong...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Sep. 12 2006,8:45)]Yeah My light is strong too, and I frequently have to wear shades when I am working in it. Maybe you have heard of the brand. The sun. LOL
Well- as you know I also grow outside... Bottom line- I think that the MH lamp is more pain on the eyes... Don't know why though. maybe cause it's low to the plants so you can't really tip your head to avioid it...

I too grow what I can outside but high elevation species don't like Atlanta summer heat and the crawlspace is nice and cool. And then the MexiPings seem a bit sensitive to the monsoon rains of late summer so the sunroom is the place for them. And both areas need lighting so...
smile_n_32.gif

And I agree with ANdrew as to why the bulbs seem so harsh but I will also add that the light from them is only filtered by anout 3 feet of atmosphere while sunlight is filtered by a good deal more
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Sep. 12 2006,7:31)]OH DEAR LORD!!! It is so friggin bright that I quite seriously need to wear sunglasses while working on the plants under it.
".... I wear my sunglasses at night...."

".... pair of cheap sunglasses...."

Back