Thread: That's not good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Dyflam @ Sep. 14 2006,7:08)]
    Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Sep. 13 2006,9:56)]Sting ray is pretty good to eat. You knwo when you go to red lobster or other seafood place and order scalops? Well, not all of those are scalops. Only a certain percentage of them. The other percent is stingray IIRC. I learned that in Bio class.
    I used to believe that too until I actually ate a stingray (was really poor and hungry). I have seen no evidence that this is actually done.
    it is actually done... I've had to send back scallops because what I got was obviously not a scallop (I no longer use that purveyor). Places like Red Lobster, and I do not say this disparagingly, are corporate chain restaurants looking to cut corners in order to make a profit anyway they can.
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think skates, not stingrays, get cut into scallop shapes. A close relative, but not the same fish.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (kahnli @ Sep. 14 2006,8:52)]
    Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Sep. 13 2006,9:56)]Sting ray is pretty good to eat. You knwo when you go to red lobster or other seafood place and order scalops? Well, not all of those are scalops. Only a certain percentage of them. The other percent is stingray IIRC. I learned that in Bio class. If the mucles fibers are running up and down its a real scalop it ifs running the other direction then its stingray.
    I have never EVER tried to pass off stingray for scallops... That's wrong and deceptive. However, I did work for a chef once who passed rabbit off for chicken (jerk chicken salad). We ran rabbit as an easter sunday special and, needless to say, we sold none. We had all this rabbit left over so he made jerk chicken salad.
    Bruce was the most creative chef I ever worked with and speaking of scallops... I'm getting my rear end kicked on the line one night and he walks off line. He starts chopping chocolate and puts in a double boiler. He begins to dip scallops in the chocolate. This is Saturday night! And he's making chocolate covered scallops...
    Whoops, got off subject...

Killing stingrays for no apparent reason is bad.
    Chocolate covered scallops?? Ewwww!
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, they were gross. But you always tell the chef that they're good. His response "funny, everyone tells me that the scallops are good but no one wants a second one."
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote[/b] (kahnli @ Sep. 15 2006,11:47)]yeah, they were gross. But you always tell the chef that they're good. His response "funny, everyone tells me that the scallops are good but no one wants a second one."
    LOL
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123