What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Winter

I washed up on the shores of South Florida over forty years ago and spent all my free time in or on the water.  The earliest I have never seen large schools of mullet migrating down our coast was October 15 and it normally doesn’t start till the end of the month or early November.  This year fairly large schools began moving through on September 11, over a full month earlier than usual. The really large schools, ¼ mile long and 50 feet wide, containing literally millions of fish, should be right behind the initial small runs.

On September 14 the first flocks of migrating pelicans appeared.  Again, this is at least a month earlier than normal.

The point of this post is that those two incidents might be signaling an early winter for the East Coast and I am wondering if this might be due to global warming/cooling or possibly because of the El Nino forming off the coast of Ecuador/Columbia.  I have noticed in the past that an El Nino year usually causes fewer hurricanes to hit the U. S. because it displaces the Bermuda High that has steered the storms towards us for the last three years.

Any weather analysts here that could give me a clue as to why this is happening?

P.S. I was in the surf that first evening fishing for the predators that follow the schools…caught lots of snook, tarpon, barracuda, jacks and a couple of spinner sharks.  All this on 10 pound mono, so I have had a great time.

it was 36 degrees yesterday with wind blowing hard enough that i didnt want to go out side cause i didnt want to be knocked over and bounce my knee off the pavement. supposed to be back up to 60 by Thursday, typical Montana weather this time of year

Hasnt been any unusual weather up here around the Great Lakes..

a slightly cooler than normal August and early September, but not out of the "normal range"..
been highs in the mid to high 70's the last month or so...fairly normal.

Scot

God I hope it is early winter. It hasn't snowed worth anything in Richmond in AGES. I miss the trappings of winter...
smile_h_32.gif

I think I read that we have an El Nino this year, so it's quite possible. I did read that we are supposed to have a slightly colder winter, but that doesn't mean that any particular month or region between you and me and between September and Winter is going to be colder than normal. Hey, they revised their hurrican forecast downward!

I hope we have a good winter this year...lots of snow!!
biggrin.gif
But I'm not ready for it YET. We are having warm days, cool nites...its nice. And it rained tons (I guess a summer's worth of rain all in a week or so)...so my rain barrel is full plus all the other containers. Miss Leah Wilkerson is throwing two new pitchers.
smile.gif

So...C'MON SNOW! (Just not 'til mid-late November...). AND I hope the price of natural gas falls like the gasoline has so I can actually heat my house this year.

I HATE WINTER
mad.gif

I think we're experiencing global cooling... alert the media.

Probably just a local difference in sea surface temperatures. Too localised to be attributed to global warming or el nino/nina!

God I hope it is early winter.

I hope we have a good winter this year...lots of snow!!

you two are freaking nuts. i would be very happy with 35-40 from the 2nd week in Oct through the last weekend in March. snow SUCKS!!! do like cool weather for hunting(see above) but thats about it.

Snow rules
smile_n_32.gif

Alexis,  These fish spend the summer as far North as Maine and maybe even up into Canada and then migrate to Florida for the winter, kinda like some people I know, so it is not a local change in sea temperature.  I guess the pelicans follow them down because they are "good eats".

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think we're experiencing global cooling... alert the media.
Dyflam, are you doubting Al Gore's premise about global warming?

Hey PAK, You get enough snow up there and you will be just like the pelicans.  Let me know when your flight arrives and I will pick you up at FLL International.

rarely get much snow here average annual precip is around 12 inches most of that is rain. however with what snow we get comes the cold. and i mean COLD! -40 before windchill freaking SUCKS!

Rattler Shut up! (JK)

I mean that nicely of course!

I lived in alaska, it would be -40 for days on end! And around -20's -10s on average!

And when it got into the 20's and 40's for the first time befor summer It felt like Summer! I would wear shorts in this temperature. But It did get nice and warm in the summer too 70's 80's...
PFFF

bbbbrrrrrr. Alaska? Why would anyone want to live there?

We should send the prisoners to alaska.

I live in georgia and with this 70 degree weather i'm already freezing.

lol nep-ak...................-40 before windchill in winter............110 in the summer(cooling off to nice cool 90 at night).................actually i could deal with Alaska, its got better hunting than i have and that hard to do................yeah i could deal with Alaska
smile_n_32.gif

Alaska! I spent six months flying back and forth to Prudhoe Bay back in the 70's.  My flight training down here did not prepare me for mountains, whiteouts, icing conditions, compass deviation and 4000 foot gravel runways.
Poor Florida boy nearly froze to death.  Never again.

Back