User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What can be used to kill carnivorous ants?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used liquid seven to rid an orchid pot of ants, but it was planted in bark and not a peat mis. You could try feeding them grits. Make sure they are the real grits and not instant. It will swell in their guts and explode them. LOL If they don;t go for that how about trying a flush on Merit if you can find it. I have used it on my plants without problems. The only thing is your going to need to flush the pot with it. Since they do not eat on the plant making the plant poisonous isn;t going to do any good. They sell a concentrate. Its called Bayer advanced for trees and shrubs. Its a white liquid. I would dilute it down and flush it through the pots. It kills on contact and should work for ants I would think. It doesn't work for mites though. It will also give your plants the added benefit of being poisonous to other sap sucking bugs for approximately 30 days.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or repot...and just wash the roots really well.
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grits? Singapore? Now ya got me thinking that maybe rice would do the same thing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe. I know here in the south I have heard use grits and it will kill all of them. Kinda like feeding alcaseltzer to seagulls.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have hurd, but Grits and rice wont do any thing, most ants stomachs will expand. A good example of this is Replates of Commonly known Honey Pot ants.

Either way, I still sudgest just putting an oil on the sides of the pot, something that will stop the ants from going to and from... the colony will die of starvation, If you want them to go away esily Theirs really nothing youc an do just wait until the Colony that is supplying the Alates in the area to die, or just get used to it, I doubt they are harming youre plants any.

Maybe take some time and just see how they are with each other... you might be supprised at how cool they can be!

Cheers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes AK. What is going to stop the queen from taking flight and starting a new colony? Granted the mother might not, but her doughters would. Personaly I despise ants. They make ugly mounds all in my yard. Then I leave my GH unattended for 3 or 4 days while it was overcast and they build a mound right in front of the doorway. Of course I don;t see it because they built it over the threshold and it blended in with the wood. Well I noticed it was there when I was getting eaten alive!!! I had walked through the mound and drug the hose over it. They swarmed and I got bit I knwo arleast 8 times on one foot. Ihad on flip flops.

Cindy I wish you luck with your ant killing endevers! They are horid creatures. I knwo they have their place and are cool out in nature, but not in my yard. I need to lay down the 300 bucks to get the yard treatment that is garenteed for a year! Kill them all!!!
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok First off once a queen ant has started a colony it sheds its wings never to fly again.

The workers arent able to reproduce cause... they were programed that way at birth.

Also, ants only make Alates (male and female ants the ones you see with wings) once a year.

Now You despise Fire ants/ argentinan ants, and ants that invade youre home. but with out the ants, their would be 2 times as much insect waste... And insect over population. Trust me... ants are a good thing.

Their are some preaty freakin sweet ants... you just have to know where to look, and not think they are out to kill you!

You just have to not be ignorant about some things. (I dont mean that in a bad way sorry if it comes across that way)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...we should all listen to ak...hes the ant guru
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast