What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

something old, something new......................

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
something barrowed, something blue

smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

IMG_0161.jpg

looking this picture over i spend way to much money on guns....... this is my (and my wifes) hunting arsenal this year

left to right

Marlin 1895G in 45-70(new).............perfect for the heavy brush. not really new but has $150 worth of new parts so im counting it. as it sits ~$650

Custom Remington 700 in 375 Winchester Short Magnum(blue), i didnt have it built, im actually its third owner and its less than 2 years old. ive got ~$1500 into it, to have one made up just like it would be closer to $2K

the wifes Remington 7 Youth in 7-08(borrowed for the pic), have ~$800 into it as it sits there, will prolly tack on another $400 next year when it gets a new stock to sorta match my 375(think purple instead)

the cheapest of the lot, a early 1950's Savage 99EG in 300 Savage(old, but not my oldest rifle) paid $250 for it......as it sits its prolly worth closer to $500 pawn shop didnt know what they had, that peep sight alone is worth $125. need to fix the stock before i can hunt with it, prolly do that this weekend.

so thats what? over $3K worth? bad thing is ive got another $1500 rifle along with 8 more worth between $200 and $700 each.................
smile_n_32.gif

and because im bored..........................

a British/USA rifle................. SMLE No. 4 Mk 1* Savage made it for the Brits under contract, doubt this one left the states....paid $70 for it, not original but one of my favorites
c090f152.jpg

630d8a97.jpg

the top one is my other $1500 rifle, a 338-06 on a Remington made Pattern 17 Enfield, original rifle made in 1917/1918 as a 30-06 for our troops in WWI rebuilt in 2002 sorta to my specs. word to the wise do very carefull background check before sending a rifle to a gunsmith, this thing still aint working righ but fits me like a glove
570e6a78.jpg

4729dc82.jpg

my oldest rifle, a sporterized 1895 Chilien Mauser in 7x57, originally paid $150 for it at a pawn shop, has since been Cerekoted which is a baked on ceramic coating that is one with the metal, very hard to wear off and will not rust. its a job that usually costs $300 but didnt cost me anything. think im going to have this done to my 45-70

2574377a.jpg

eed88230.jpg

2104b1bc.jpg

Sheridan I know your CP collection is safe. What are you trying to do intimidate all the wood be thieves? LOL Just picking. Very nice collection you have there. I look forward to the day when I get out of school and have the extra cash to start a collection myself. I will be going after mainly handguns though with a few riffles because I would actually like to start hunting. Believe it or not I have never been. Well, I went rabbit hunting, but I carried a BB gun. Dad felt I was too young I guess.
smile_h_32.gif
But I am not anymore LOL. Just don't have the extra income to get a gun. I feel if I am going to buy a gun buy something good and a Glock 40 cal is around 500! YIKES.

actually im just as proud of some of my rifles as i am my plants and like showing them off.......knee is tweaking some after 2 hard days at work so i was sticking around in the office messing on the computer this morning and was bored so i posted these.

as far as my CP's being safe............if i hear someone in my house i assume they are after my wife, her kids or me....all of which mean much graver results to the individual than someone looking to mess with my plants. a call to the cops means a 10-15 minute wait minimum especially at night when few are on duty, im set up to deal with problems much quicker than that.

oh and your idea of holding off and getting something good later versus something cheap now..........very good one, rarely disappoints
smile_n_32.gif

Eek. I have no moral obligations to hunting but I personally could never kill an animal. I'm a bunny hugging wimp
biggrin.gif

I should learn how to use a gun, though.

"reactive" target shooting is fun...................gallon milk jugs filled with water are fun with rifles throwing bullets at high velocities, 130 grain bullet going near 3000 feet per second desintigrates jugs of water instantaniously, very cool. slower cartridges arent as fun. rimfires against golf balls is fun to, if yah line up just right yah can knock them a hundred yards or more. pumpkins, oranges, apples ect are great targets. they dont call the 45-70 a "pumpkin roller" for nothing

my sister refuses to hunt but she loves going out shooting.

I love shooting too.  When y mother lived here I would borrow her 357 revolver and go target shooting at an indoor range.  We took my mother in laws cheap 9 mm and 380 with us and the guns were so cheap that when I would hold the gun like normal the slide would catch my hand and it would hurt like HECK.  Since then I never asked to bring them again and made my mind up to get what I want to begin with.  Those cheap sat night specials SUCK.  Give me a 40 cal glock with the recoil supression spring and extra groves cut into the slides for better chambering.  Oh did I mention I really want twins too?

Sheridan what do you think about the Berrett riffle?  The new shoulderfired automatic snipper riffle the military is using??  Cut a man in half at a distance of over a mile away!!

Here it is Berrett Look at the M107.  I have a video of a guy in Irac getting cut in half by one of these at over a mile away!

Sheridan this is mouth watering!
Barrett M82A1 but it costs almost 8 grand!

Wow! That is quite a collection of long guns you have Rattler.  Do you own any scatter guns?
What kind of handguns do you have?  Which is your favorite?

-I own a Government Model .45 that has been all over the world with me.   I have replaced the barrel, bushing, slide and recoil springs three times.  It is well worn but still accurate enough to do big time damage at 40 yards, it is my sentimental favorite.
-My target pistol is an accuratized .45 Colt Mark IV Gold Cup.
-My carry pistol is a .45 alloy frame Officer's Model Colt with Crimson Trace laser grip sight.  I shoot Black Talon in it.
-My pocket pistol is a .380 alloy frame Colt Mustang.  Hydra-Shok is my load of choice.
-My plinking pistol is a 6" barrel Ruger .22 with the sweetest trigger you can imagine.

I have a nice knife collection which includes a Randall double edge that has traveled a lot.  My father carried it in the Marines in WW II.  It and the Colt have followed me everywhere.

You are lucky to have a wife that enjoys shooting.  Tell me the truth though.  Does she actually know the true cost of each one you buy?  
biggrin.gif

no scatter guns other than a single shot 410........cant hit squat out of the air with a shot gun. when ever i do the odd bird hunting(havent in years) i borrow a shotgun incase a game warden would stop us and take my 22 and sniper them. anymore my brother is into pheasant hunting and i just bum some of his birds when i want to eat pheasant.

no hand guns just sold my 44 revolver cause i didnt shoot it. i do see a TC single shot and a 1911 in my future though.

no interest in a 50 cal sniper, to expensive to shoot even if yah reload, dont take long to go through 5 pounds of powder with one of those. i would like a 50-110 winchester on a single shot Ruger #1, i love guns that lob big heavy cast bullets....running mainly 405's through my 45-70...........the 50-110 would be fed a diet of 500-650's
smile_n_32.gif

Jesus Christ rattler! You'r worse than my dad! He's always talking about numbers and stuff then retreats to the basement for hours at a time playing Pink Floyd. He's either taking part it a pagan ritual or reloading bullets. I think it's the latter. He's always talking about Winchester and Ruger and all that. He's even got an elephant gun. An elephant gun! We don't have elephants in georgia! If you like hunting, he was just featured in Georgia Sportsman and Georgia Outdoor News. We even have a bear stading up mount in our living room. It's really tacky but he's proud
smile.gif

elephant gun.............with hard cast bullets and a stiff load of powder i can crack the engine block of a truck with my 45-70
smile.gif
i dont have any rifle thats ideal for elephant but the 45-70 and 375WSM will work with the right loads. have plans for a 416 Taylor and the 50-110 mentioned above, both would be quite adiquate for anything that walks on this earth...............if i get brave and decide to go with a 50-140 Sharps instead in the Ruger.....im prepared for the eventuality of Jurassic Park coming true
smile_n_32.gif
funny thing is the 45-70 has been around for 125 years and the 50-110 and 50-140 have been around for longer. course in a modern firearm, loaded with smokeless powder instead of black powder they offer awesome performance. a 12 pound 50-140 loaded to the max with a 500 grain bullet has enough recoil to seperate the fore end off of the Ruger #1 unless you change how its screwed on........thats alot of horse power...........should make a dandy varmit rifle
smile_n_32.gif
only problem with this is im having problems finding 50-140 brass, 50-110 brass is fairly easy to find so thats prolly what ill wind up with

hehe, there you go again! all those numbers give me a headache!

Sheridan. Next time could you speak in english? I have no clue what you and lauderdale just said. I am interested in learning though for when I eventualy do have the spare time. Oh and if I was able to put down the money for a Berritt then I would have money for the rounds or reloads too. So I don;t see one in my future unless I win the lottery or am very successfull in my business endevores when I am done with nursing school.

Lauderdale. I must ask do you just cary all those guns because you like guns and feeel protected, or are you in law enforcement? BTW When I finaly get around to getting my consealed weapons permit and buying a handgun I will be carying it with me to every place I am allowed to. I may be carrying twins if I end up getting them.
smile_n_32.gif
I think it would be sweet to have two matching glock 40 cals with matching serials just one being A and the other being B as the last digit. And I know they sell them like that!

sheeeesh.................and i dumb down my stuff a bit for here cause i know few here are really and truely familiar with firearms, fewer still are full blown gun nuts such as my self. for example i just refered to the 375WSM as a custom rifle, if i wanted to be specific, such as on the hunting forum i frequent, i would have given yah this:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]375 wsm
M700 SS SA Trued and lapped with pinned Holland Lug
Pac-Nor 22" SS #3, 6 groove, 1:10" twist
Factory Shamu bottom metal, mag box and .308 Win. follower
Tuned Factory Trigger
McMillan Mtn Rifle Stock in 60% Dk Blue, 20% White and 20% Black with 1" Decelerator
Pillar bedded with Parrish pillars and Marine-Tex
Badger Bolt Knob

hows that for making your head spin
smile_n_32.gif
every bit of that im familiar with.

I guess it's better than having crystal meth recipes memorized.

Back when I was into guns, I wasn't into crude horsepower. My dream gun was a 22-250, which is a hot little gun that doesn't blow the rifling out the barrel like a 220 Swift. But I came northeast and there's little use for such a thing here.

We kick around the idea of buying a shotgun and even that would be a lowly 16 gauge. My old Model 12 Winchester is a full choke 12 that wouldn't leave much bird for the dogs to retrieve. Assuming that tight pattern even found the bird. It probably would with my wife shooting, but not for me. I was never any good with a shotgun and need all the scatter I can get.

Bruce as far as scatter guns a 12 guage is the best thing going, not because of horse power but because there is a huge variety of loads. everything from quite light to very heavy. with a 16 your actually pretty limited...........i know i had one at one point.

Rattler,  I don't mean to hijack your post but I would like to offer a little advice to JBOrchidGuy.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Lauderdale.  I must ask do you just carry all those guns because you like guns and feel protected, or are you in law enforcement?
JB,
I am not in law enforcement. Yes I like firearms.  My Grandfather gave me his well used 9 shot .22 revolver for my ninth birthday and I have “sniped” as Rattler put it, many a rabbit, quail, pheasant with it on our farm.  I literally wore it out.  

Just after I got out of the Army, that was a long, long time ago, I went to work for a private contractor and was in charge of small arms training for many of our clients in numerous Latin American Countries.  We were often called upon to provide security for “high risk" dignataries.  My personal weapon of choice was the .45 Government model Colt that I mentioned in my last post.  It has been retired from service, as I have, but it will always be my favorite since it served me so well.

The .45 alloy frame Officers Model Colt with the laser sight is my current “concealed” self-protection weapon.

The .380 alloy frame Colt Mustang is a very small pistol that is more easily concealable when I am wearing light clothing.  “T” shirt and shorts are standard issue warm weather clothing here in Florida.  It is not a real “stopper” like the .45 but carries 6+1 and if well placed, will do the job.

The .22 Ruger is strictly a plinking pistol and is much too large to carry concealed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I may be carrying twins if I end up getting them.
Concealing one firearm is hard enough...two is near impossible.  I would suggest becoming VERY proficient with one is the wiser choice.  Besides, if you are in a situation where you need two guns, you are in waaay over your head.   I am talking AT LEAST weekly practice of 100 rounds or more and being able to consistantly to hit a dinner plate at 20/30 yards.   Since dinner plates are rather expensive, I would suggest paper targets.  
biggrin.gif
If you want to save on ammo costs, use a similar weapon in .22 caliber to start with.  Then move up to the caliber of your choice.

Umm...this is a very male dominated post, so I thought I'd say something. hehe The wood on the rifles is nice...and I've never seen a blue rifle before.
smile_n_32.gif

Back